From: "Sven Püschel" <s.pueschel@pengutronix.de>
To: ptxdist@pengutronix.de
Subject: [ptxdist] Globally define GIT_CEILING_DIRECTORIES?
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 14:58:49 +0100	[thread overview]

I would suggest globally setting the GIT_CEILING_DIRECTORIES environment
variable when building packages.

Besides lshw, sockperf is now the second time I've encountered the
buildsystem to check the current git repository. But as Git also checks
the parent directories when searching for Git repositories, these checks
may result in getting an unwanted Git repository (usually the BSP),
resulting in package versions with a Git commit/version that has nothing
to do with the actual package.

With GIT_CEILING_DIRECTORIES set to the parent directory of the
extracted sources, Git will stop searching for parent Git repositories,
when it encounters this directory. See my sockperf v2 patch for an
example of using this environment variable.

Given this is a global change, does anyone see a potential problem?

Best regards

Sven