From: "Uwe Kleine-König" <u.kleine-koenig@pengutronix.de>
To: kernel-helpdesk@rt.linuxfoundation.org
Cc: ptxdist@pengutronix.de
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] [Kernel.org Helpdesk #86171] [linuxfoundation.org #86171] Re: Archive ptxdist@pengutronix.de on lore.kernel.org?
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 08:50:21 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello Konstantin,

On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 11:28:30AM +0100, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:

> > > I still didn't hear anything back from you. The ticket on
> > > rt.linuxfoundation.org is still marked as "new".
> > >
> > > Following https://korg.wiki.kernel.org/userdoc/lore I'm currently in the
> > > step "Wait till you receive a response", but since I'm there since more
> > > than eight weeks I wonder if there is a problem on your side?
> >
> > Hello, and sorry for radio silence. I wasn't deliberately trying to
> > stall -- I was just trying to figure out the best way to approach this.
> > While it's true that there are some things on lore.kernel.org that
> > aren't *directly* related to the kernel, we nevertheless try to stick to
> > lists that are either about low-level kernel subsystems, or about
> > various tools used for kernel development, or at least have predominant
> > topics that are close to the above two categories. The trouble with
> > ptxdist is that it doesn't really fit inside those boundaries, so I am
> > not sure whether it makes sense for it to live on lore.kernel.org.
> >
> > Above all, I'd like to avoid turning lore.kernel.org into a central
> > resource that becomes a hard dependency for projects the same way gmane
> > was -- so much so, that when it disappeared, it caused serious ripple
> > across the open-source fabric.
> >
> > We are encouraging others to set up their own instances of public-inbox,
> > and would prefer to mirror the resulting git repositories instead (and
> > offer indexing/searching capabilities) instead of doing archival on our
> > end. This is the approach we're taking with Yocto, and I would encourage
> > you to investigate the same option, as this would avoid making
> > lore.kernel.org a hard dependency for your project.
> >
> > I hope that we'll be able to roll out our aggregated mirroring/indexing
> > service closer to mid-year -- and when that happens, we'll be happy to
> > mirror your lists and offer them alongside all others.
>
> I'd like to come back to this offer. We have setup our own public-inbox
> instances now for a while and mirroring them on lore.kernel.org would be
> great.
>
> These are the links to our instances:
>
> 	https://lore.barebox.org/barebox
> 	https://lore.ptxdist.org/ptxdist
> 	https://lore.distrokit.org/distrokit
> 	https://lore.pengutronix.de/oss-tools
>
> Is there anything else you need, some meta-data maybe?

I didn't hear back from you. I wonder if this mail didn't make it to a
mailbox that is read, or if it just fell through the (human) cracks.

It would be great to get these lists indexed on lore.kernel.org.

happy to get feedback
Uwe

Industrial Linux Solutions                 | https://www.pengutronix.de/ |