From: "Konstantin Ryabitsev via RT" <kernel-helpdesk@rt.linuxfoundation.org>
To: u.kleine-koenig@pengutronix.de
Cc: ptxdist@pengutronix.de
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] [Kernel.org Helpdesk #86171] [linuxfoundation.org #86171] Re: Archive ptxdist@pengutronix.de on lore.kernel.org?
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 17:31:22 -0400	[thread overview]

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 05:52:53AM -0400, Uwe Kleine-König via RT wrote:

> > I didn't hear back from you in reply to my request from three weeks ago.
> > Is this still on your radar and I just need some more patience?
>
> I still didn't hear anything back from you. The ticket on
> rt.linuxfoundation.org is still marked as "new".
>
> Following https://korg.wiki.kernel.org/userdoc/lore I'm currently in the
> step "Wait till you receive a response", but since I'm there since more
> than eight weeks I wonder if there is a problem on your side?

Hello, and sorry for radio silence. I wasn't deliberately trying to
stall -- I was just trying to figure out the best way to approach this.
While it's true that there are some things on lore.kernel.org that
aren't *directly* related to the kernel, we nevertheless try to stick to
lists that are either about low-level kernel subsystems, or about
various tools used for kernel development, or at least have predominant
topics that are close to the above two categories. The trouble with
ptxdist is that it doesn't really fit inside those boundaries, so I am
not sure whether it makes sense for it to live on lore.kernel.org.

Above all, I'd like to avoid turning lore.kernel.org into a central
resource that becomes a hard dependency for projects the same way gmane
was -- so much so, that when it disappeared, it caused serious ripple
across the open-source fabric.

We are encouraging others to set up their own instances of public-inbox,
and would prefer to mirror the resulting git repositories instead (and
offer indexing/searching capabilities) instead of doing archival on our
end. This is the approach we're taking with Yocto, and I would encourage
you to investigate the same option, as this would avoid making
lore.kernel.org a hard dependency for your project.

I hope that we'll be able to roll out our aggregated mirroring/indexing
service closer to mid-year -- and when that happens, we'll be happy to
mirror your lists and offer them alongside all others.

-K