* [ptxdist] dropbear and sftp-server mismatch
@ 2022-04-28 18:23 Ian Abbott
From: Ian Abbott @ 2022-04-28 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi there,

Since scp now defaults to using the SFTP protocol which is not built in
to dropbear, I thought I'd configure my platform to enable
OPENSSH_SFTP_SERVER, but I ran into a 'gotcha'.  The server gets
installed as "/usr/sbin/sftp-server" (and `--libexecdir` is configured
as "/usr/sbin"), but dropbear looks for it at "/usr/libexec/sftp-server".

The path to the sftp-server can be set in dropbear by defining the
`SFTPSERVER_PATH` macro in "localoptions.h" file (constructed by
"rules/dropbear.make").  That is not currently done, but is easy enough
to add.  I was wondering whether it should be made configurable by a new
option in "rules/dropbear.in" or not (using "/usr/sbin/sftp-server" as
the default value).

--
-=( Ian Abbott <abbotti@mev.co.uk> || MEV Ltd. is a company  )=-
-=( registered in England & Wales.  Regd. number: 02862268.  )=-

* Re: [ptxdist] dropbear and sftp-server mismatch
@ 2022-04-29  5:33 ` Alexander Dahl
From: Alexander Dahl @ 2022-04-29  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Abbott; +Cc: ptxdist

Hello Ian,

Am Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 07:23:09PM +0100 schrieb Ian Abbott:
> Hi there,
>
> Since scp now defaults to using the SFTP protocol which is not built in to
> dropbear, I thought I'd configure my platform to enable OPENSSH_SFTP_SERVER,
> but I ran into a 'gotcha'.  The server gets installed as
> "/usr/sbin/sftp-server" (and `--libexecdir` is configured as "/usr/sbin"),

This happens in the OpenSSH package, where libexecdir is configured as
/usr/sbin since 2003 … wow.

> but dropbear looks for it at "/usr/libexec/sftp-server".

Yes.

> The path to the sftp-server can be set in dropbear by defining the
> `SFTPSERVER_PATH` macro in "localoptions.h" file (constructed by
> "rules/dropbear.make").  That is not currently done, but is easy enough to
> add.  I was wondering whether it should be made configurable by a new option
> in "rules/dropbear.in" or not (using "/usr/sbin/sftp-server" as the default
> value).

I would tend to hardcode it into rules/dropbear.make … I don't see a
reason to have that as configurable menu option, do you?  Because we
probably won't change the path in openssh package, and to my knowledge
there's no alternative to the one from openssh?

Care to send a patch?

Greets
Alex

* Re: [ptxdist] dropbear and sftp-server mismatch
@ 2022-04-29  6:48   ` Michael Olbrich
From: Michael Olbrich @ 2022-04-29  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Abbott, ptxdist

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 29, 2022 at 07:33:14AM +0200, Alexander Dahl wrote:
> Am Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 07:23:09PM +0100 schrieb Ian Abbott:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Since scp now defaults to using the SFTP protocol which is not built in to
> > dropbear, I thought I'd configure my platform to enable OPENSSH_SFTP_SERVER,
> > but I ran into a 'gotcha'.  The server gets installed as
> > "/usr/sbin/sftp-server" (and `--libexecdir` is configured as "/usr/sbin"),
>
> This happens in the OpenSSH package, where libexecdir is configured as
> /usr/sbin since 2003 … wow.
>
> > but dropbear looks for it at "/usr/libexec/sftp-server".
>
> Yes.
>
> > The path to the sftp-server can be set in dropbear by defining the
> > `SFTPSERVER_PATH` macro in "localoptions.h" file (constructed by
> > "rules/dropbear.make").  That is not currently done, but is easy enough to
> > add.  I was wondering whether it should be made configurable by a new option
> > in "rules/dropbear.in" or not (using "/usr/sbin/sftp-server" as the default
> > value).
>
> I would tend to hardcode it into rules/dropbear.make … I don't see a
> reason to have that as configurable menu option, do you?  Because we
> probably won't change the path in openssh package, and to my knowledge
> there's no alternative to the one from openssh?

I agree. No need for an option.

> Care to send a patch?

That would be great.

Michael