* [ptxdist] Generate UBIFS Images
@ 2021-01-20 22:56 Alex Vazquez
From: Alex Vazquez @ 2021-01-20 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi, all.
I have some questions about generating UBIFS images.
First, I am using ptxdist-2018.05. For this version, I use Generate
UBIFS Images (NO new version).
I need to generate root/data.ubifs images with special arguments. For
root.ubifs, I can specify arguments (IMAGE_UBIFS_EXTRA_ARGS) but for
data.ubifs, exists IMAGE_UBIFS_DATA_EXTRA_ARGS but it is not editable
from platformconfig.

- For ptxdist-2018.05, Is there a way to use the same
variable(IMAGE_UBIFS_EXTRA_ARGS) to generate root.ubifs and
data.ubifs? I would like to avoid redefining the rules that generate
the ubifs(image_ubi.make).

- For the latest versions of ptxdist, it is possible to indicate
arguments to generate the *.ubifs?

* Re: [ptxdist] Generate UBIFS Images
@ 2021-01-21  6:54 ` Alexander Dahl
From: Alexander Dahl @ 2021-01-21  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Vazquez; +Cc: ptxdist

Hello Alex,

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 11:56:55PM +0100, Alex Vazquez wrote:
> I have some questions about generating UBIFS images.
> First, I am using ptxdist-2018.05. For this version, I use Generate
> UBIFS Images (NO new version).

I would recommend to use the new approach, that should also work with
ptxdist-2018.05 already.

> - For the latest versions of ptxdist, it is possible to indicate
> arguments to generate the *.ubifs?

It is. Recent ptxdist versions use 'genimage' [1] to create those
images. If the default genimage config files are not sufficient for
you, you can just put your own config to your BSP.

For example: in a BSP for an at91sam9g20 based board with the ptxdist
platform named "foo", I put two files to
'configs/platform-foo/config/images':

- ubi.config
- ubifs.config

You find the files distributed with ptxdist also in 'config/images',
e.g. in /usr/local/lib/ptxdist-2021.01.0/config/images or in the
ptxdist source git tree. You can start with those files and adapt them
to your needs. (For ubi/ubifs you actually should pick those as a
start, because there are several placeholders for flash memory
parameters to be substituted in there).

There's some documentation on image packages, I found this:

https://www.ptxdist.org/doc/ref_make_variables.html#image-packages

Not sure if someone should write some more explanation on that?
genimage itself is documented at [1] however.

Greets
Alex

[1] https://github.com/pengutronix/genimage/

--
/"\ ASCII RIBBON | »With the first link, the chain is forged. The first
\ / CAMPAIGN     | speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [ptxdist] Generate UBIFS Images
@ 2021-01-24 18:29   ` Alex Vazquez
From: Alex Vazquez @ 2021-01-24 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Vazquez, ptxdist

El jue, 21 ene 2021 a las 7:54, Alexander Dahl (<post@lespocky.de>) escribió:

> Hello Alex,
>
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 11:56:55PM +0100, Alex Vazquez wrote:
> > I have some questions about generating UBIFS images.
> > First, I am using ptxdist-2018.05. For this version, I use Generate
> > UBIFS Images (NO new version).
>
> I would recommend to use the new approach, that should also work with
> ptxdist-2018.05 already.

Thanks, Alex!
Following your recommendation I will use the new approach.
I'm testing and it works.

I have a question. In genimage, max_leb_cnt is calculated
automatically and there isn't an option in the flash section to set a
value. Is there any alternative to set it to a specific value?

Greets!

@ 2021-01-25  5:55     ` Sascha Hauer
From: Sascha Hauer @ 2021-01-25  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Vazquez; +Cc: ptxdist

Hi Alex,

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 07:29:05PM +0100, Alex Vazquez wrote:
> El jue, 21 ene 2021 a las 7:54, Alexander Dahl (<post@lespocky.de>) escribió:
> >
> > Hello Alex,
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 11:56:55PM +0100, Alex Vazquez wrote:
> > > I have some questions about generating UBIFS images.
> > > First, I am using ptxdist-2018.05. For this version, I use Generate
> > > UBIFS Images (NO new version).
> >
> > I would recommend to use the new approach, that should also work with
> > ptxdist-2018.05 already.
> >

> Thanks, Alex!
> Following your recommendation I will use the new approach.
> I'm testing and it works.
>
> I have a question. In genimage, max_leb_cnt is calculated
> automatically and there isn't an option in the flash section to set a
> value. Is there any alternative to set it to a specific value?

There is the max-size property for
ubifs, see https://github.com/pengutronix/genimage/blob/master/README.rst#ubifs

Sascha

* Re: [ptxdist] Generate UBIFS Images
@ 2021-01-25 12:01       ` Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
From: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia @ 2021-01-25 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist; +Cc: Alex Vazquez

Hi Alex,

El lun, 25 ene 2021 a las 6:56, Sascha Hauer (<sha@pengutronix.de>) escribió:

> Hi Alex,
>
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 07:29:05PM +0100, Alex Vazquez wrote:
> > El jue, 21 ene 2021 a las 7:54, Alexander Dahl (<post@lespocky.de>) escribió:

> > > I would recommend to use the new approach, that should also work with
> > > ptxdist-2018.05 already.
> > >

> > Thanks, Alex!
> > Following your recommendation I will use the new approach.
> > I'm testing and it works.
> >
> > I have a question. In genimage, max_leb_cnt is calculated
> > automatically and there isn't an option in the flash section to set a
> > value. Is there any alternative to set it to a specific value?
>
> There is the max-size property for
> ubifs, see https://github.com/pengutronix/genimage/blob/master/README.rst#ubifs

Not sure why genimage does not support specifying max_leb_cnt
directly, but I guess you can pass it to mkfs.ubifs via extraargs (-c
xxx)

Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
guille.rodriguez@gmail.com