* [ptxdist] Best practice integrating firmwares in U-Boot builds
@ 2022-05-25 15:22 Felix Mellmann
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Felix Mellmann @ 2022-05-25 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi,

when I tried to set up a PTXdist environment for a NXP i.MX8MP based
board (Phytec phyBoard Pollux) I stumbled across the need to provide
firmware images during the U-Boot build process (LPDDR4 training data
and TF-A BL31 firmware).

Is there a best practice on how to provide those firmwares during build?
Currently I helped myself and modified u-boot.make to copy the firmware
files at the very beginning of the compile stage to the build directory...

Best regards,

Felix

* Re: [ptxdist] Best practice integrating firmwares in U-Boot builds
@ 2022-05-25 15:53 ` Christian Melki
From: Christian Melki @ 2022-05-25 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Mellmann; +Cc: ptxdist

Hi Felix.

I added something like this to u-boot.in a while ago.
IIRC it got nack:ed with the comment that we should follow the Barebox
way. I haven't gotten back to that sidetrack with u-boot.

But maybe you can start there and do something more useful?

https://www.mail-archive.com/ptxdist@pengutronix.de/msg19186.html

Regards,
Christian

@ 2022-05-25 15:56 ` Christian Melki
From: Christian Melki @ 2022-05-25 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Mellmann; +Cc: ptxdist

On 5/25/22 17:22, Felix Mellmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when I tried to set up a PTXdist environment for a NXP i.MX8MP based
> board (Phytec phyBoard Pollux) I stumbled across the need to provide
> firmware images during the U-Boot build process (LPDDR4 training data
> and TF-A BL31 firmware).
>
> Is there a best practice on how to provide those firmwares during build?
> Currently I helped myself and modified u-boot.make to copy the firmware
> files at the very beginning of the compile stage to the build directory...

Ie. I did something like this a while ago.

PTXCONF_U_BOOT_CUSTOM_MAKE_OPTS="BL31=${PTXDIST_PLATFORMDIR}/build-target/tf-a-imx_5.4.70_2.3.0/build/imx8mm/release/bl31.bin
ATF_LOAD_ADDR=0x920000 flash.bin

@ 2022-05-25 18:55 ` Sascha Hauer
From: Sascha Hauer @ 2022-05-25 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Mellmann; +Cc: ptxdist

Hi Felix,

On Wed, May 25, 2022 at 05:22:41PM +0200, Felix Mellmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when I tried to set up a PTXdist environment for a NXP i.MX8MP based board
> (Phytec phyBoard Pollux) I stumbled across the need to provide firmware
> images during the U-Boot build process (LPDDR4 training data and TF-A BL31
> firmware).
>
> Is there a best practice on how to provide those firmwares during build?
> Currently I helped myself and modified u-boot.make to copy the firmware
> files at the very beginning of the compile stage to the build directory...

See here:
https://lore.ptxdist.org/ptxdist/20220129070330.2601433-1-michael.riesch@wolfvision.net/

These patches solve the problem for the Rockchip TF-A binary blobs
integrated into barebox. The helper introduced there is generic and
the solution could look similar for U-Boot I guess.

Sascha