From: Alexander Dahl <post@lespocky.de>
To: Christian Melki <christian.melki@t2data.com>, ptxdist@pengutronix.de
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] Patch series for package per project?
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2022 21:35:36 +0100	[thread overview]

Hei hei,

it's me again, I want to add some more thoughts on this. O:-)

On Thu, Mar 03, 2022 at 09:11:39PM +0100, Alexander Dahl wrote:
> Hello Christian,
>
> On Thu, Mar 03, 2022 at 08:37:45PM +0100, Christian Melki wrote:
> > >>
> > > Would it be an option to put the patches below each of the platformdirs?
> > >
> > > I ran into a similiar situation when starting to migrate to a different
> > > CPU platform. After a couple of years putting serveral "platformconfig"
> > > files within the same directory as "ptxconfig" I'm now using separate
> > > subdirs for each platform where separate sets of platform dependent
> > > patches are lying.
> > >
> > > Felix
> > >

> > Hi Felix.
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestion.
> >
> > Ideally not. It irks me a bit that patches have to go to a different
> > place because they belong to another platform than the "default". Or
> > that they have to go somewhere else altogether because they need to be
> > split into platforms.
> > It doesn't make much sense to me.
>
> If I understand you correctly, your folder patches/barebox-2022.03.0
> (or whatever common version you use) must look like this somehow, all
> patches of the different series interleaved?
>
> 0001-apples.patch
> 0001-foo.patch
> 0001-this.patch
> 0002-bar.patch
> 0002-oranges.patch
> 0002-that.patch
> 0003-baz.patch
> series.one
> series.three
> series.two

Now, what if those series are not mutually exclusive, but certain
patches are part of multiple series?  Even worse: in different places,
like first patch in one, and third patch in the other series?  Each
call of `git ptx-patches` would change the file numbers in the file
names, breaking the other series?

> Seriously, that looks messy to me, how should anyone looking at the
> directory know which patch belongs to which series without looking at
> the series files?  What if someone wants to copy/move all patches
> belonging to only one series to a different place?

What I would do, and in fact I did this with patches for U-Boot for
five different boards: throw all patches into one series.  Why
separate them?  Or if that's not possible, put distinct patch series
configs/platform-XXX/patches/barebox-2022.03.0 as suggested before.

Well, there's one more possibility: put the patch series to different
top layers. ;-)

Any more possibilities?  Happy TIMTOWTDI everyone! ;-)

Greets
Alex

--
/"\ ASCII RIBBON | »With the first link, the chain is forged. The first
\ / CAMPAIGN     | speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the