Hei hei, it's me again, I want to add some more thoughts on this. O:-) On Thu, Mar 03, 2022 at 09:11:39PM +0100, Alexander Dahl wrote: > Hello Christian, > > On Thu, Mar 03, 2022 at 08:37:45PM +0100, Christian Melki wrote: > > On 3/3/22 18:07, Felix Mellmann wrote: > > > On 03.03.22 15:22, Christian Melki wrote: > > >> Just one barebox version, but for different archs, with different > > >> patchsets. I'd like the patches to live in the same place as they've > > >> always done, i.e. under patches/package/... > > >> But patches/package/series.$platform or similar does not seem to work? > > >> > > > Would it be an option to put the patches below each of the platformdirs? > > > > > > I ran into a similiar situation when starting to migrate to a different > > > CPU platform. After a couple of years putting serveral "platformconfig" > > > files within the same directory as "ptxconfig" I'm now using separate > > > subdirs for each platform where separate sets of platform dependent > > > patches are lying. > > > > > > Felix > > > > > > > Hi Felix. > > > > Thanks for the suggestion. > > > > Ideally not. It irks me a bit that patches have to go to a different > > place because they belong to another platform than the "default". Or > > that they have to go somewhere else altogether because they need to be > > split into platforms. > > It doesn't make much sense to me. > > If I understand you correctly, your folder patches/barebox-2022.03.0 > (or whatever common version you use) must look like this somehow, all > patches of the different series interleaved? > > 0001-apples.patch > 0001-foo.patch > 0001-this.patch > 0002-bar.patch > 0002-oranges.patch > 0002-that.patch > 0003-baz.patch > series.one > series.three > series.two Now, what if those series are not mutually exclusive, but certain patches are part of multiple series? Even worse: in different places, like first patch in one, and third patch in the other series? Each call of `git ptx-patches` would change the file numbers in the file names, breaking the other series? > Seriously, that looks messy to me, how should anyone looking at the > directory know which patch belongs to which series without looking at > the series files? What if someone wants to copy/move all patches > belonging to only one series to a different place? What I would do, and in fact I did this with patches for U-Boot for five different boards: throw all patches into one series. Why separate them? Or if that's not possible, put distinct patch series configs/platform-XXX/patches/barebox-2022.03.0 as suggested before. Well, there's one more possibility: put the patch series to different top layers. ;-) Any more possibilities? Happy TIMTOWTDI everyone! ;-) Greets Alex -- /"\ ASCII RIBBON | »With the first link, the chain is forged. The first \ / CAMPAIGN | speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the X AGAINST | first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.« / \ HTML MAIL | (Jean-Luc Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie)