From: Alexander Dahl <post@lespocky.de>
To: ptxdist@pengutronix.de
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] Why are the __DATE__ and __TIME__ fixed in the OSELAS Toolchain or PTXDist ?
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 15:36:09 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello Mircea,

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 03:02:36PM +0200, Mircea Ciocan wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I have a rather strange question:
>
> In one of my programs, to differentiate during testing in between different
> compilation of the same program, I'm using a poor's man serialization based
> on the __DATE__ and __TIME__ macros (or whatever they are nowadays).

I usually use some Git based version information from
`git describe --dirty` …

> Unfortunately I've always get a constant value: "Mar  1 2021-00:00:00" when
> I compile it with PTXDist and OSELAS toolchain and I was wondering where it
> comes from (this happens with the last three versions of the OSELAS
> toolchain)? This is for aarch64, the same program compiled with Ubuntu
> distribution gcc gives expected results.
>
> Could somebody shad some light why is that and eventually on how to disable
> this really undesired behavior ?

The reason is so called reproducible builds:

https://reproducible-builds.org/

You can change behaviour in your BSP through the
REPRODUCIBLE_TIMESTAMP_* variables. Access it from the menu through
"Project Name & Version" ---> "SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH timestamps source"

Greets
Alex

--
/"\ ASCII RIBBON | »With the first link, the chain is forged. The first
\ / CAMPAIGN     | speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the