From: Mircea Ciocan <m.ciocan@ppc-ag.de>
To: ptxdist@pengutronix.de
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] Why are the __DATE__ and __TIME__ fixed in the OSELAS Toolchain or PTXDist ?
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 16:08:30 +0200	[thread overview]

On 21.07.21 15:36, Alexander Dahl wrote:
> Hello Mircea,
>
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 03:02:36PM +0200, Mircea Ciocan wrote:
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I have a rather strange question:
>>
>> In one of my programs, to differentiate during testing in between different
>> compilation of the same program, I'm using a poor's man serialization based
>> on the __DATE__ and __TIME__ macros (or whatever they are nowadays).
> I usually use some Git based version information from
> `git describe --dirty` …
>
>> Unfortunately I've always get a constant value: "Mar  1 2021-00:00:00" when
>> I compile it with PTXDist and OSELAS toolchain and I was wondering where it
>> comes from (this happens with the last three versions of the OSELAS
>> toolchain)? This is for aarch64, the same program compiled with Ubuntu
>> distribution gcc gives expected results.
>>
>> Could somebody shad some light why is that and eventually on how to disable
>> this really undesired behavior ?
> The reason is so called reproducible builds:
>
> https://reproducible-builds.org/
>
> You can change behaviour in your BSP through the
> REPRODUCIBLE_TIMESTAMP_* variables. Access it from the menu through
> "Project Name & Version" ---> "SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH timestamps source"
>
> Greets
> Alex

Thanks a lot Alex,

I was starting to tear what little hair I have left, of course it had to
be some google sponsored useless garbage :-(, oh well, at least is
disable-able ;-).

Best way is to run:

./ptxdist setup -> "Developer Options" -> "disable reproducible builds"

and get rid of it, the following gem is from the "feature" help, I think
it describes it nicely why is junk:

  "This can be confusing during development. E.g. The Linux kernel build
timestamp never changes and cannot be used to ensure that the correct
kernel image is used. Enable this option to get a new timestamp for
every PTXdist call."

Cheers,

Mircea

<https://www.ppc-ag.de/datenschutz/>