* [ptxdist] What can be actually set in a collection
@ 2024-03-12 13:47 Mircea Ciocan
From: Mircea Ciocan @ 2024-03-12 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hello everybody,
in an attempt to consolidate multiple similar platforms under one ptxconfig + individual collection configs we are not sure if in the collection only individual software packages can be set that have been already marked with <m> in the root ptxconfig, or other things, like variables containing a string or different build options for a specific package can be put in a collection.
If these things can't be stored in a collection, can be stored somewhere else so they can be merged with the global ptxdist when a specific configuration is selected ?
Can/will the already define variable be overridden ? Is there any related documentation ?

 Many thanks for your support,
 Mircea

* Re: [ptxdist] What can be actually set in a collection
@ 2024-03-26  6:59 ` Michael Olbrich
From: Michael Olbrich @ 2024-03-26  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mircea Ciocan; +Cc: ptxdist

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 12, 2024 at 02:47:04PM +0100, Mircea Ciocan wrote:
> in an attempt to consolidate multiple similar platforms under one
> ptxconfig + individual collection configs we are not sure if in the
> collection only individual software packages can be set that have been
> already marked with <m> in the root ptxconfig, or other things, like
> variables containing a string or different build options for a specific
> package can be put in a collection.

Collections only work to get a subset of packages. They cannot be used for
other options.

> If these things can't be stored in a collection, can be stored somewhere
> else so they can be merged with the global ptxdist when a specific
> configuration is selected ?

If you need more than what collections allow, then I suggest you use
layers. A layer allows you to store what is basically a diff for the base
ptxconfig. You can do the same thing for other configs, such as the
platformconfig or a kernelconfig. It can have a separate projectroot/ to
overwrite things from the base BSP. You can customize just about everything
in the BSP but still keep the common parts in one place.

> Can/will the already define variable be overridden ? Is there any related documentation ?

Collections are not really documented. They are rarely used because of the
limitations you noticed. Layers are documented[1], but I'm use that could
be better :-). Feel free to ask questions here if anything is unclear.

Michael

[1] https://www.ptxdist.org/doc/dev_layers_in_ptxdist.html