* [ptxdist] setting from localsetup differing from setup not honoured
@ 2024-02-20  8:14 Alexander Dahl
From: Alexander Dahl @ 2024-02-20  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hello everyone,

currently tinkering with bootloaders and wondered why at91bootstrap 4
_always_ printed '2020-08-01 00:00:00' as build time, although I had set
PTXCONF_SETUP_DISABLE_REPRODUCIBLE with `ptxdist localsetup`?

Turns out PTXDIST_BUILD_TIMESTAMP is set correctly if
PTXCONF_SETUP_DISABLE_REPRODUCIBLE is set through `ptxdist setup` but
not if it is set through `ptxdist localsetup`.  If set through
localsetup `ptxdist print PTXCONF_SETUP_DISABLE_REPRODUCIBLE` gives
'undefined' while it gives 'y' when set through 'setup'.

BSP is layered, two layers actually.  ptxdist version is still
2023.05.0, but I could not find any significant changes to that
mechanism after that.  I'm afraid I am currently not able to provide a
solution for that problem, but I wanted to let you know.

Greets
Alex

* Re: [ptxdist] setting from localsetup differing from setup not honoured
@ 2024-02-20  8:55 ` Michael Olbrich
From: Michael Olbrich @ 2024-02-20  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 20, 2024 at 09:14:58AM +0100, Alexander Dahl wrote:
> currently tinkering with bootloaders and wondered why at91bootstrap 4
> _always_ printed '2020-08-01 00:00:00' as build time, although I had set
> PTXCONF_SETUP_DISABLE_REPRODUCIBLE with `ptxdist localsetup`?
>
> Turns out PTXDIST_BUILD_TIMESTAMP is set correctly if
> PTXCONF_SETUP_DISABLE_REPRODUCIBLE is set through `ptxdist setup` but
> not if it is set through `ptxdist localsetup`.  If set through
> localsetup `ptxdist print PTXCONF_SETUP_DISABLE_REPRODUCIBLE` gives
> 'undefined' while it gives 'y' when set through 'setup'.
>
> BSP is layered, two layers actually.  ptxdist version is still
> 2023.05.0, but I could not find any significant changes to that
> mechanism after that.  I'm afraid I am currently not able to provide a
> solution for that problem, but I wanted to let you know.

I cannot reproduce this on master. Are you running `ptxdist localsetup` and
`ptxdist print` in the same layer? The localsetup config is only used from
the toplevel layer, not stacked across all layers. So only
${PTXDIST_WORKSPACE}/.ptxdistrc.diff is used.

Regards,
Michael

* Re: [ptxdist] setting from localsetup differing from setup not honoured
@ 2024-02-20 10:13   ` Alexander Dahl
From: Alexander Dahl @ 2024-02-20 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hello Michael,

Am Tue, Feb 20, 2024 at 09:55:39AM +0100 schrieb Michael Olbrich:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Feb 20, 2024 at 09:14:58AM +0100, Alexander Dahl wrote:
> > currently tinkering with bootloaders and wondered why at91bootstrap 4
> > _always_ printed '2020-08-01 00:00:00' as build time, although I had set
> > PTXCONF_SETUP_DISABLE_REPRODUCIBLE with `ptxdist localsetup`?
> >
> > Turns out PTXDIST_BUILD_TIMESTAMP is set correctly if
> > PTXCONF_SETUP_DISABLE_REPRODUCIBLE is set through `ptxdist setup` but
> > not if it is set through `ptxdist localsetup`.  If set through
> > localsetup `ptxdist print PTXCONF_SETUP_DISABLE_REPRODUCIBLE` gives
> > 'undefined' while it gives 'y' when set through 'setup'.
> >
> > BSP is layered, two layers actually.  ptxdist version is still
> > 2023.05.0, but I could not find any significant changes to that
> > mechanism after that.  I'm afraid I am currently not able to provide a
> > solution for that problem, but I wanted to let you know.
>
> I cannot reproduce this on master.

Tried in another BSP now which already has ptxdist-2023.12.0.  Same
result, also with other variables like PTXCONF_SETUP_DEPRECATED_FATAL,
see output from a BSP on top of DistroKit master:

    % cat .ptxdistrc.diff
    5ff908847d27f19d31c328b51f205bf0
    PTXCONF_SETUP_DEPRECATED_FATAL=y
    PTXCONF_SETUP_DISABLE_REPRODUCIBLE=y
    % p print PTXCONF_SETUP_DISABLE_REPRODUCIBLE
    PTXCONF_SETUP_DISABLE_REPRODUCIBLE undefined
    % p version
    2023.12.0

> Are you running `ptxdist localsetup` and
> `ptxdist print` in the same layer? The localsetup config is only used from
> the toplevel layer, not stacked across all layers. So only
> ${PTXDIST_WORKSPACE}/.ptxdistrc.diff is used.

Yes, running from the top layer only.
Host system is Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm) and my shell is zsh
(no difference from bash though).

@ 2024-02-26 13:28     ` Michael Olbrich
From: Michael Olbrich @ 2024-02-26 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 20, 2024 at 11:13:25AM +0100, Alexander Dahl wrote:
> Am Tue, Feb 20, 2024 at 09:55:39AM +0100 schrieb Michael Olbrich:
> > On Tue, Feb 20, 2024 at 09:14:58AM +0100, Alexander Dahl wrote:
> > > currently tinkering with bootloaders and wondered why at91bootstrap 4
> > > _always_ printed '2020-08-01 00:00:00' as build time, although I had set
> > > PTXCONF_SETUP_DISABLE_REPRODUCIBLE with `ptxdist localsetup`?
> > >
> > > Turns out PTXDIST_BUILD_TIMESTAMP is set correctly if
> > > PTXCONF_SETUP_DISABLE_REPRODUCIBLE is set through `ptxdist setup` but
> > > not if it is set through `ptxdist localsetup`.  If set through
> > > localsetup `ptxdist print PTXCONF_SETUP_DISABLE_REPRODUCIBLE` gives
> > > 'undefined' while it gives 'y' when set through 'setup'.
> > >
> > > BSP is layered, two layers actually.  ptxdist version is still
> > > 2023.05.0, but I could not find any significant changes to that
> > > mechanism after that.  I'm afraid I am currently not able to provide a
> > > solution for that problem, but I wanted to let you know.
> >
> > I cannot reproduce this on master.
>
> Tried in another BSP now which already has ptxdist-2023.12.0.  Same
> result, also with other variables like PTXCONF_SETUP_DEPRECATED_FATAL,
> see output from a BSP on top of DistroKit master:
>
>     % cat .ptxdistrc.diff
>     5ff908847d27f19d31c328b51f205bf0
>     PTXCONF_SETUP_DEPRECATED_FATAL=y
>     PTXCONF_SETUP_DISABLE_REPRODUCIBLE=y
>     % p print PTXCONF_SETUP_DISABLE_REPRODUCIBLE
>     PTXCONF_SETUP_DISABLE_REPRODUCIBLE undefined
>     % p version
>     2023.12.0
>
> > Are you running `ptxdist localsetup` and
> > `ptxdist print` in the same layer? The localsetup config is only used from
> > the toplevel layer, not stacked across all layers. So only
> > ${PTXDIST_WORKSPACE}/.ptxdistrc.diff is used.
>
> Yes, running from the top layer only.
> Host system is Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm) and my shell is zsh
> (no difference from bash though).

The problem is not with layers but with --auto-version. I've pushed a fix
to master.

Michael