* [ptxdist] OSELAS toolchain license and copyright information
@ 2021-01-20 16:55 Andre, Goncalo [AUTOSOL/MSOL/HSSL]
From: Andre, Goncalo [AUTOSOL/MSOL/HSSL] @ 2021-01-20 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hello,
I am trying to comply with the GPL terms in regards to a product we will release that uses PTXdist and the OSELAS toolchain, and would like to clarify the license terms of the toolchain.
On the git repo of the OSELAS toolchain I did not find any licensing information.
From what I understand the tools provided by the toolchain are all GNU derivatives and therefore have the same licensing terms as the GNU originals. Am I correct?
Have you transferred the copyright of your OSELAS contributions to the FSF?
Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Goncalo Andre | Embedded Software Engineer
Emerson Process Management GmbH & Co. OHG | Industriestraße 1 | 63594 Hasselroth | Deutschland
T +49 6055 884-323
Goncalo.Andre@Emerson.com | www.Emerson.de<http://www.Emerson.de>
Werden Sie Mitglied der Emerson Community: Abonnieren Sie aktuelle Informationen zu Produkten, Veranstaltungen und Schulungen <http://emrsn.co/Abonnieren>
Sitz: Argelsrieder Feld 3, 82234 Weßling, Deutschland
Amtsgericht München HRA 65808; StID-Nr. 161/159/05906, UStID-Nr. DE131383658

Gesellschafter:

  1.  Emerson Process Management Verwaltung GmbH
Sitz: Weßling, Deutschland; Amtsgericht München HRB 244142
Geschäftsführer: Mathias Schinzel (Vors.), Roman Bodtlaender, Zivko Jovic, Tassilo Thuene

  1.  Emerson Climate Technologies GmbH (Ausgeschlossen von der Repräsentation)
Sitz: Berlin, Germany; Amtsgericht Charlottenburg HRB 877 B
Geschäftsführer: Torsten Keller-Carnap, Jean Janssen

* Re: [ptxdist] OSELAS toolchain license and copyright information
@ 2021-01-21  7:10 ` Robert Schwebel
From: Robert Schwebel @ 2021-01-21  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 04:55:51PM +0000, Andre, Goncalo [AUTOSOL/MSOL/HSSL] wrote:
> I am trying to comply with the GPL terms in regards to a product we will
> release that uses PTXdist and the OSELAS toolchain, and would like to clarify
> the license terms of the toolchain.
>
> On the git repo of the OSELAS toolchain I did not find any licensing
> information.

OSELAS.Toolchain() is a ptxdist project, so the ptxdist license applies:
https://git.pengutronix.de/cgit/ptxdist/tree/COPYING

In short: the BSP itself is GPLv2, but doesn't influence the license of
the things built with it.

> From what I understand the tools provided by the toolchain are all GNU
> derivatives and therefore have the same licensing terms as the GNU
> originals. Am I correct?

Correct.

> Have you transferred the copyright of your OSELAS contributions to the
> FSF?

In the past, some toolchain patches have been contributed back to the
respective communities, the remaining patches are here:

https://git.pengutronix.de/cgit/OSELAS.Toolchain/tree/patches

So technically, you are patching the components locally, so rules for
chainging those components apply.

rsc
--
Pengutronix e.K.                           | Dipl.-Ing. Robert Schwebel  |
Steuerwalder Str. 21                       | https://www.pengutronix.de/ |

* Re: [ptxdist] OSELAS toolchain license and copyright information
@ 2021-01-21 10:57   ` Roland Hieber
From: Roland Hieber @ 2021-01-21 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andre, Goncalo [AUTOSOL/MSOL/HSSL]; +Cc: Robert Schwebel, ptxdist

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 08:10:02AM +0100, Robert Schwebel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 04:55:51PM +0000, Andre, Goncalo [AUTOSOL/MSOL/HSSL] wrote:
> > From what I understand the tools provided by the toolchain are all GNU
> > derivatives and therefore have the same licensing terms as the GNU
> > originals. Am I correct?
>
> Correct.

Newer toolchain releases also include clang, llvm and lld for some
platforms, those are under Apache-2.0 with LLVM exception. Everything
else is GNU.

 - Roland

--
Roland Hieber, Pengutronix e.K.          | r.hieber@pengutronix.de     |