To: ptxdist@pengutronix.de
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] weird ptxdist -q -j go  problems
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 13:02:58 +0100	[thread overview]

On Sun, 2018-02-25 at 12:43 +0100, Michael Olbrich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Feb 25, 2018 at 11:56:47AM +0100, Erwin Rol wrote:
> > The build system is Centos7 with bash;
> > GNU bash, version 4.2.46(2)-release (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu)
> >
> > Not the newest but on the other hand Centos7/RHEL7 is a very stable
> > platform. It would be very nice if it could be part of the list of
> > platforms Pengutronix uses to test ptxdist ;-)
>
> I run build tests in several different chroots and Centos7 is one of them.
> Unfortunately that one is currently broken, because it's missing Python 3.4
> needed for meson :-/.

install devtoolset-6, this is what I install in my centos7 docker;

RUN \
    echo 'Upgrading all system packages to the latest available versions' >&2 && \
    yum -y install epel-release && \
    yum -y install centos-release-scl && \
    yum -y install devtoolset-6 && \
    yum -y update

RUN \
    echo 'Installing host tools and build system functionality' >&2 && \
    yum -y install \
        cmake curl cppcheck \
        gawk make wget tar bzip2 gzip unzip perl patch \
        diffutils diffstat git cpp gcc gcc-c++ glibc-devel texinfo chrpath socat \
        perl-Data-Dumper perl-Text-ParseWords perl-Thread-Queue xz which \
        ncurses-devel flex bison texinfo gettext expect dialog gperf imake \
        xmlto-tex libffi-devel ruby autogen automake bc lzop sudo \
        perl-XML-Parser intltool parted tig htop vim file \
        perl-XML-LibXML perl-JSON \
        libX11-devel openssl-devel glibc.i686 libffi-devel \
        perl-Carp perl-Encode perl-Exporter perl-File-Path perl-File-Temp perl-Filter \
        perl-Getopt-Long perl-HTTP-Tiny perl-PathTools perl-Pod-Escapes perl-Pod-Perldoc \
        perl-Pod-Simple perl-Pod-Usage perl-Scalar-List-Utils perl-Socket perl-Storable \
        perl-Text-ParseWords perl-Time-Local perl-constant perl-libs perl-macros perl-parent \
        perl-podlators perl-threads perl-threads-shared runtime perl-Data-Dumper \
        perl-Thread-Queue perl-JSON-PP emacs unix2dos dos2unix \
        dosfstools mtools pxz gtk-doc elfutils-libelf-devel subversion git-svn \
        python34 python34-devel python34-pip python34-libs \
        python python-mako python-devel libxml2-python python-argparse

> Some packages using glib also need host-glib for some of the helper tools
> like glib-mkenums.
>
> Can you send a patch? And please include the reason in the commit message.
> Or the build error if it's useful. That helps while reviewing the
> dependencies for the next update.

I will have to break it again to get the error msg :-) I'll see if I
find some time later today.

> > BTW: wouldn't it be easier to add select HOST_GLIB to glib.in ? Or even
> > more general do that for all packages that have a host-* version ?
>
> Not all packages that use glib actually need host-glib and I'd like to
> avoid unnecessary dependenciesa.

I'll see if I can find some time to do
./ptxdist clean; ./ptxdist compile pkg_that_uses_glib
to see what builds and waht doesn't.

Of course that is going to cost a lot of build time, so it might take a
while to get done.

> > I'll look into it and report back when I know more, certainly now I
> > know -j really is a first class citizen :-)
>
> I've spent quite some time to make '-j' work without problems and as fast
> as possible without overloading the build server. All my ptxdist build
> tests use it. I's most definitely a first class citizen.

That is good, cause those "configure" stages take for ever :-)

- Erwin