To: ptxdist@pengutronix.de
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] weird ptxdist -q -j go  problems
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 11:56:47 +0100	[thread overview]

Hey Michael,

On Sun, 2018-02-25 at 11:38 +0100, Michael Olbrich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Feb 25, 2018 at 10:17:46AM +0100, Erwin Rol wrote:
> > how wel is the -j option of ptxdist tested ? Is it used a lot by others
> > or is it more an obscure untested option ?
>
> I always use '-j -q', unless I test specific packages or need to debug
> build error.

OK that is good :-)

> > With the lastest version of ptxdist I wanted to try the -j option and
> > am running into weird problems.
> >
> > First I forgot to add a _CONF_TOOL setting in one of my *.make files,
> > and I found a file called "11" in my dir with the following content;
> >
> > ptxdist: error: automatic prepare tool selection failed. Set <PKG>_CONF_TOOL
> >
> > that "11" somehow sounds like it should have been a filedescriptor
> > number and not an actual file.
>
> I think this is an issue with your bash version. The code for this message
> is this:
> [...]
> echo "${PTXDIST_LOG_PROMPT}error: $1" >&${PTXDIST_FD_STDERR}
> [...]
>
> I think older bash versions have a problem with this under some
> circumstances. I don't remember all the details, but it may be triggered by
> the call chain 'bash -> make -> bash'. The fd is  opened in the first bash
> and used in the second.

The build system is Centos7 with bash;
GNU bash, version 4.2.46(2)-release (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu)

Not the newest but on the other hand Centos7/RHEL7 is a very stable
platform. It would be very nice if it could be part of the list of
platforms Pengutronix uses to test ptxdist ;-)

> > Of course not having the _CONF_TOOL was an error from my side, after
> > fixing it it seemed to work.
> >
> > But now the ptxdist -j -q go from time to time stops with an error. In
> > the log file it always seems to say something like;
> >
> > }}} 2018-02-25T08:38:46+0000
> > /home/ANNAX.LOCAL/erro/Projects/ABE.centos7/bsps/Seco_E38XX_64/master/p
> > txdist/bin/ptxdist go -j -q; (exit value: 2)
> >

> > I have seen this with busybox and openssl with different compilers
> > (x86_62 and armv5). It always is exit value: 2.
> >
> > When I than do a ./ptdixt go again it happily continues (even if I use
> > -q -j)
>
> Can you send the relevant parts from the logfile? I know there is a
> dependency problem in openssl. I cause very rare build errors. I've yet to
> figure out the exact cause. It's not '-j' specific but that seems to
> trigger it more often.
>
> I'm not aware of any problems with busybox. A log with some more details
> would be helpful.

I found a missing dependency for libsoup, it needs glib host tools. I
am running from a minimal docker so those aren't available on the host
and so libsoup.in needed select HOST_GLIB

Maybe it is just caused by some other missing deps.

BTW: wouldn't it be easier to add select HOST_GLIB to glib.in ? Or even
more general do that for all packages that have a host-* version ?

I'll look into it and report back when I know more, certainly now I
know -j really is a first class citizen :-)

- Erwin