From: Danny <danny.bergh@sioux.eu>
To: ptxdist@pengutronix.de
Subject: [ptxdist] Ext2 root file system above 4GB
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 12:38:37 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

Hi All,

Our system platform is recently upgraded. Before the upgrade we were using
a 1GB flash disk with 2 partitions of 400MB each (double partition for
software upgrades). The new platform has a 16GB disk and it would be nice
if we could increase the 400MB partitions to 6GB.

This is easy to configure in PTXdist using the configuration (image
creation -- generate images/root.ext2 and generate images/hd.img). The
root.ext2 size is increased to 6GB (6.291.456 bytes). The hd image
partitions are changed to fit the double partitions.

Creating the 6GB image is causing some problems. The first issue is the
inodes from ext2. The first error is "Creating root.ext2 ....... sysroot-
host/bin/genext2fs: couldn't allocate an inode (no free inode)". After
forcing more inodes the following error is seen: "Running e2fsck on
root.ext2...make: *** [images/root.ext2] Error 1". The image seems
corrupted.

The creation of the partition seems to work fine up to 4GB. A few MB after
this the image creation fails. Searching the internet got me to the
following patch for genext2fs:
http://sourceforge.net/p/genext2fs/mailman/message/29050966/

Does someone have the same issues?? Is patching the genext2fs the correct
solution?

Thanks,
Danny