From: Jerry Kirk <jkirk865@gmail.com>
To: ptxdist@pengutronix.de
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] Advice on Directory Structure
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 16:08:03 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

Josef Holzmayr <holzmayr@...> writes:

> > Any advice would be great to try and avoid painful restructures.
>
> ~/ptxdist/releases	Here I keep the built ptxdist releases
>           /toolchains	The OSELAS.Toolchain things are here
>           /sources	I download all sources to here
> 			(ptxdist setup -> source directories)
>   /projects/a		Every project the gets a symlink to the
>            /b		ptxdist binary it uses, and done.
>            /c		These directories should go into your SCM.
>
> For the layout of any project directory, you can check out the mini2440
> BSP
> (http://www.pengutronix.de/oselas/bsp/pengutronix/mini2440_bsp_en.html),
> as it includes a working structure fitting for ptxdist including
> examples for the difference board/project/etc.

Josef, thanks for your advice just a few followup questions (fgr anyone)

1. Do you still install the cross compilers in /OPT or do you try to include
them local to the project? I'm assuming you might wind up with multiple
toolchains.

2. In your example of projects/[abc] are you starting from a known BSP and
then customizing the config files, adding patches, etc. Is a Project really a
build image for the embedded device or just an application?

3. Do you keep the application code seperate in structure (and in code control
repository) and just sym-link the directory to the "local_src" direcetory?

4. In general, how much do you try to seperate your code from the starting BSP?