From: muntaqa <muntaqa@juno.com>
To: ptxdist@pengutronix.de
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] Using external toolchain with penguitronix BSP	distribution
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 13:31:26 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

Juergen Beisert <jbe@...> writes:

> muntaqa wrote:
> > Just incase anyone else is interested in this, once setup is performed
> > correctly, ignore the errors that are confusing.  Toolchain is ready to
> > be used and you can start using it even though "ptxdist platform
> > configs/platform-friendlyarm-mini2440/platformconfig-NAND-128M" outputs
> > an error.
> >
> > My current working settings in that platformconfig-NAND-128M file are:
> >
> > PTXCONF_CROSSCHAIN_VENDOR=""
> > PTXCONF_CROSSCHAIN_CHECK="4.5.1" // I just used gcc version from my
> > toolchain PTXCONF_LIBC_GLIBC=y
> > # PTXCONF_LIBC_UCLIBC is not set
> > PTXCONF_GLIBC_VERSION="2.11.1" // I just used glibc version from my
> > toolchain PTXCONF_GNU_TARGET="arm-none-linux-gnueabi"
> > PTXCONF_COMPILER_PREFIX="${PTXCONF_GNU_TARGET}-"
> > PTXCONF_COMPILER_PREFIX_KERNEL="${PTXCONF_COMPILER_PREFIX}"
> > PTXCONF_COMPILER_PREFIX_BOOTLOADER="${PTXCONF_COMPILER_PREFIX}"
>
> Out of curiosity: what advantage has your toolchain compared to our OSELAS
> ARMv4 toolchain?
>
> Regards,
> Juergen

This is CodeSourcery open source toolchain.  I had chosen it a while ago
when building the project with buildroot.  I have been using it for a while
and have built and debugged all of my applications with it on mini2440.  At this
point, I did not want to discover or spend time on any other problems since I
have a working system except that I am trying to add QT applications
to my mini2440 platform.
Reason I switched to Pengutronix is that buildroot gave me some trouble when
building QT thru it plus it had always given me kernel panic errors when
installing the jffs2 root image (so I had been simply using tar balls on top
of the stock kernel/rootfs that mini2440 is shipped with).  I thought switching
to Pengutronix would finally let me burn a true image and I can organize my
project much better.

Currently, I still have kernel panic messages when building the rootfs using
Pengutronix and CodeSourcery.  It seems perhaps that it is because of
gcc 4.5.1 that is being used in my version of CodeSourcery.  When I use your
toolchain, I
can burn an image properly and do not receive kernel panic messages.  Your
toolchain uses gcc 4.5.2.

One issue that I see though with Pengutronix is that any time I change a
selection or add anything to QT configuration in Penguitronix ptxdist
menuconfig, it rebuilds the whole QT (ends up costing me couple of hours
plus I am not able to try anything quickly.)

I would like to start using pengutronix as long as it would be less
frustrating than buildroot.

BTW, my best wishes to you on this project, you guys have done alot of
good work and looking at your documentation the working environment, it seems
very promising.

Regards,
Muntaqa