From: muntaqa <muntaqa@juno.com>
To: ptxdist@pengutronix.de
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] Why does "ptxdist go" always rebuilds the whole	package
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 11:21:07 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

Robert Schwebel <r.schwebel@...> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 01:56:12AM +0000, muntaqa wrote:
> > For example, if I make a change to Qt configuration thru the "ptxdist
> > menuconfig" command and add another demo application to the list.
> > When I issue ptxdist go command, it rebuilds the whole QT package
> > which takes more than an hour.  Is this something specific to my setup
> > perhaps OR ptxdist normally operates this way?
>
> If you have changed a package, it is being rebuilt.
>
> > Is there a setting somewhere which may change this behavior to rebuild
> > incrementally based on what has been built already?
> >
> > This ends up costing me quite a bit of time just to make s small
> > change to my configuration.
>
> Qt is a bit special as it contains a lot of demo applications.
> Improvements for the dependency generation, or even split up into two
> packages (qt + demos) may be an option -> patches are welcome.
>
> rsc

So after building qt4 package, it went on with the build process and
it stopped on gdbServer build since I had not entered the md5 checksum.
So I started ptxdist menuconfig, traversed to Debugging Tools area and
entered md5 checksum for gdbServer tar file.  Typed "ptxdist go" and
yet again it is rebuilding Qt4.  This change was unrelated to Qt4.
Does that not mean I did not change Qt configuration and it is simply
re-building Qt just because I changed a setting in menuconfig.

I would appreciate any help still in this area since it looks like
ptxdist does not know whether qt configuration has been changed or not,
it simply wants to build the package.

Regards
Muntaqa