* [ptxdist] gcc versions supported by PTXDist.
@ 2011-10-05  9:48 Andrew M.
From: Andrew M. @ 2011-10-05  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hello,

I hope this is the correct mailing list to ask this question, it's just I
couldn't find the answer anywhere else. If not, please direct me to the correct
one.

I was wondering what versions of gcc are supported by the 2011-08.0 version of
PTXDist. The reason I ask is because I tried compiling nano (with the given
nano.make rule given with ptxdist, without modifications), and I got a
compilation error, regarding line 1600 in the file `files.c`:
fnctl.h:51: error: call to '__open_missing_mode' declared with attribute error:
open with O_CREAT in second argument needs 3 arguments.

My compiler is gcc 4.4.3 for arm crotex a8. Also, compiling the same package
(nano 1.3.12) using my host's compiler (gcc 4.4.3, supplied with Ubunutu 10.4)
gave the same error.

Compiling a newer version of nano (2.2.3) on the host works fine.

I also noticed that the 'out-of-the-box' configuration enforces the 4.3.2
version of gcc for the toolchain configuration. (Under platforms/toolchain.in,
line 22)

My questions are:
1. Does ptxdist supposed to work _only_ with version 4.3.2 of gcc? (Or is it a
bug in the nano configuration?)
2. If so, is there a planned upgrade sometime?

I know I can update the nano receipe and make the newer version of nano
compile, I'm just wondering if there is a reason that the 4.3.2 version of gcc
is enforced. (Maybe because other packages rely on the 4.3.2 version of gcc?)

Thank you,

Andrew M.