From: Ian Abbott <abbotti@mev.co.uk>
To: ptxdist@pengutronix.de, Erwin Rol <erwin@erwinrol.com>
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] year 2038 Toolchain
Date: Thu, 23 May 2024 11:38:39 +0100	[thread overview]

On 23/05/2024 07:41, Erwin Rol wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I am working on arm32 (imx6ul) and need to support dates beyond 2038.
> With the new ptxdist 2038 support it seems to work in C, but I ran into
> problems with C++.
>
> The following code;
>
> auto t = std::chrono::system_clock::now();
>
> does not seem to work correctly. When the system date is less than 2038
> it works and gives back the correct time, but for dates > 2038 it seems
> to return some 1970 date.
>
> Conversion functions on the other hand seem to work;
>
> auto t = std::chrono::system_clock::from_time_t(time(nullptr));
>
> does a correct conversion of dates > 2038.
>
> The defines like _TIME_BITS=64 are set correctly, and time_t is 64bit.
> Also calls like gettimeofday() works correctly.
>
> Since the C++ std lib is part of the Toolchain, can it be that the
> Toolchain is not build correctly ?
>
> Anybody any experience with y2038 in C++ on ptxdist ?
>
> best regards,
>
> Erwin

I guess that libstdc++ in the toolchain would need to be rebuilt with
64-bit time_t support.  Although <chrono> uses a 64-bit integer type
internally, some of the functions such as
std::chrono::system_clock::now() use compiled in code that picks up the
C system time ABI at the time libstdc++ was built.  So now() will read
the system time using the 32-bit system time ABI (so will suffer from
Y2038 problems) and convert it to its own internal 64-bit integer type.
Other functions such as
std::chrono::system_clock::from_time_t(std::time_t) are not compiled in
so will use whatever C system time ABI was selected when <chrono> was
included.

--
-=( Ian Abbott <abbotti@mev.co.uk> || MEV Ltd. is a company  )=-
-=( registered in England & Wales.  Regd. number: 02862268.  )=-