* [ptxdist] Busybox password hashing algorithm
@ 2014-03-05 18:47 Matthias Klein
From: Matthias Klein @ 2014-03-05 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hello,

our ptxdist 2014.01.0 based product got an external security audit.
They complained that our passwords in the shadow file are hashed with
the outdated crypt(3) algorithm.
Her advice is to use bcrypt, PBKDF2 or scrpy.

We are using busybox for passwd etc.

Is this a busybox limitation? Or can we change the hashing algorithm in
busybox?
Or do we need to replace busybox' passwd etc. with something better?

Best regards,
Matthias

* Re: [ptxdist] Busybox password hashing algorithm
@ 2014-03-05 19:19 Matthias Klein
From: Matthias Klein @ 2014-03-05 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hello Marc,

thanks a lot for the tip !

With that option I can login with a SHA hashed password (starts with
$6$).
But if I change the password with passwd (from busybox) I get again a
"weak" hashed password.

I looked for a similar config option for passwd, but can't find one.
Is there a way to create SHA hashs with passwd from busybox ?

Best regards,
Matthias