* [ptxdist] ROOTDIR and image packages
@ 2018-10-16 12:31 Baeuerle, Florian
From: Baeuerle, Florian @ 2018-10-16 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hello,

I making heavy use of image packages with collections. Some images select and
install packages that are in conflict with each other due to installing the same
file. This creates problems when they are targetinstalled to ROOTDIR
concurrently. I often get errors like this:

install alternative:
  src=foo/configs/platform-imx27/projectroot/etc/rauc/system.conf
  dst=/etc/rauc/system.conf
  owner=0
  group=0
  permissions=0644

chmod: cannot access '/home/jenkins/workspace/foo/platform-
imx27/root/etc/rauc/system.conf': No such file or directory
Error: install_alternative failed!

xpkg_finish: failed.

/home/jenkins/workspace/foo/configs/platform-imx27/rules/image-squashfs-
jaeger90-release.make:45: recipe for target
'/home/jenkins/workspace/foo/platform-imx27/state/image-squashfs-jaeger90-
release.targetinstall' failed
make: *** [/home/jenkins/workspace/foo/platform-imx27/state/image-squashfs-
jaeger90-release.targetinstall] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

The same file is touched by the -devel package. I suppose that there is a race
condition between those two packages.

Please ignore the fact that I am creating and installing an extra package via an
image package, this works fine. The problem also exists for "normal" packages.

So my question is: How should that be fixed?

My proposals are:

1. Add an option to disable nfsroot / ROOTDIR
 -> Image packages can have their own exclusive nfsroot
 -> With image packages the contents of ROOTDIR are not really useful

2. Lock ROOTDIR similar as was done with sysroot in commit 82d0922
 -> Might slow down targetinstall for no use

3. Lock each and every file or directory
 -> Could be rather complex for no real use

Currently, I use something like "@sleep 3" in .targetinstall, but this just
sucks and it even fails sometimes.

- Florian