From: "Andreas Bießmann" <andreas@biessmann.de>
To: ptxdist@pengutronix.de
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] Problem with variable reference in Makefiles
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 15:49:31 +0100	[thread overview]

Dear Richard Günther,

Am 2013-10-29 15:37, schrieb Richard Günther:
> Hi,
>
> I am having problems with Makefiles in which I am referring to
> variables that are defined in other Makefiles. Sometimes it is working
> and I get the correct value, but for some packages I am getting an
> empty string.
>
> So for testing I set up two identical packages "automoddel" and
> "automaddel" (see attachment).  The only difference is the "a" and the
> "o", everything else is 100% the same. Then in another Makefile I
> refer to variables of these packages like this:
>
> TEST1 := $(AUTOMADDEL_VERSION)
> TEST2 := $(AUTOMODDEL_VERSION)
>
> Now the curious thing is that "TEST1" contains the correct version
> "trunk", but "TEST2" is contains an empty string:
>
> "ptxdist print TEST1" returns: trunk
> "ptxdist print TEST2" returns:               (nothing)
>
> If I change := to = the problem is gone, but that still not explains
> why the := assignment is working for one package but not for another.
> Maybe someone has a clue about that? I am using ptxdist-2011.09.0.

It has nothing to do with ptxdist, it is make related. Please read [1]
to understand the difference between '=' and ':=' assignment.

The difference of TEST1 and TEST2 is the 'A' vs. 'O'. Have you tried to
add for example AUTOMBDDEL or AAUTOMADDEL?

Best regards

Andreas Bießmann

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#Reading-Makefiles