* [ptxdist] Building a older version toolchain using a a newer version ptxdist
@ 2012-05-16 16:56 MC Potgieter
From: MC Potgieter @ 2012-05-16 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

I'm trying to build the latest available combination of tools
(ptxdist, BSP and toolchain)

My versions are (this is the latest available tools):

ptxdist: 2012.05.0
oselas toolchain: 2011.11.0
oselas BSP: 2012.02.0

After installing ptxdist I configure the toolchain:

ptxdist select ptxconfigs/arm-v4t-linux-gnueabi_gcc-4.6.2_glibc-2.14.1_binutils-2.21.1a_kernel-2.6.39-sanitized.ptxconfig

and then try and build it, but I get:

error:	The ptxconfig file version and ptxdist version do not match:

	configfile version: 2011.11.0
	ptxdist version:    2012.05.0

Which ptxconfig should I select to get matching versions (where is it located)?
Or should I force the build?

* Re: [ptxdist] Building a older version toolchain using a a newer version ptxdist
@ 2012-05-16 17:13 ` MC Potgieter
From: MC Potgieter @ 2012-05-16 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 9:56 AM, MC Potgieter <mcpot.rdc@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to build the latest available combination of tools
> (ptxdist, BSP and toolchain)
>
> My versions are (this is the latest available tools):
>
> ptxdist: 2012.05.0
> oselas toolchain: 2011.11.0
> oselas BSP: 2012.02.0
>
> After installing ptxdist I configure the toolchain:
>
> ptxdist select ptxconfigs/arm-v4t-linux-gnueabi_gcc-4.6.2_glibc-2.14.1_binutils-2.21.1a_kernel-2.6.39-sanitized.ptxconfig
>
> and then try and build it, but I get:
>
> error:  The ptxconfig file version and ptxdist version do not match:
>
>        configfile version: 2011.11.0
>        ptxdist version:    2012.05.0
>
> Which ptxconfig should I select to get matching versions (where is it located)?
> Or should I force the build?

Or should I make a symbolic link inside the toolchain folder
(OSELAS.Toolchain-2011.11.1) to the ptx folder (ln -s
/usr/local/bin/ptxdist-2012.05.0)?

* Re: [ptxdist] Building a older version toolchain using a a newer version ptxdist
@ 2012-05-16 17:39 ` Juergen Beisert
From: Juergen Beisert @ 2012-05-16 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist, mc.rdc

MC Potgieter wrote:
> I'm trying to build the latest available combination of tools
> (ptxdist, BSP and toolchain)
>
> My versions are (this is the latest available tools):
>
> ptxdist: 2012.05.0
> oselas toolchain: 2011.11.0
> oselas BSP: 2012.02.0
>
> After installing ptxdist I configure the toolchain:
>
> ptxdist select  ptxconfigs/arm-v4t-linux-gnueabi_gcc-4.6.2_glibc-2.14.1_binutils-2.21.1a_kernel-2.6.39-sanitized.ptxconfig
>
> and then try and build it, but I get:
>
> error:	The ptxconfig file version and ptxdist version do not match:
>
> 	configfile version: 2011.11.0
> 	ptxdist version:    2012.05.0
>
> Which ptxconfig should I select to get matching versions (where is it
> located)? Or should I force the build?

Building every OSELAS.Toolchain-2011.11.0/1 is tested with PTXdist-2011.11.0. If
you want to be safe, install PTXdist-2011.11.0 and build the toolchain with
this version.
If you are brave, you can force the build also with the PTXdist-2012.05.0.
Most of the time it will work, but this version combination is not tested here.
So, in case of trouble we will blame you ;)

Regards,
Juergen

--
Pengutronix e.K.                              | Juergen Beisert             |
Linux Solutions for Science and Industry      | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |

* Re: [ptxdist] Building a older version toolchain using a a newer version ptxdist
@ 2012-05-16 17:50   ` MC Potgieter
From: MC Potgieter @ 2012-05-16 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 10:39 AM, Juergen Beisert <jbe@pengutronix.de> wrote:
> MC Potgieter wrote:
>> I'm trying to build the latest available combination of tools
>> (ptxdist, BSP and toolchain)
>>
>> My versions are (this is the latest available tools):
>>
>> ptxdist: 2012.05.0
>> oselas toolchain: 2011.11.0
>> oselas BSP: 2012.02.0
>>
>> After installing ptxdist I configure the toolchain:
>>
>> ptxdist select  ptxconfigs/arm-v4t-linux-gnueabi_gcc-4.6.2_glibc-2.14.1_binutils-2.21.1a_kernel-2.6.39-sanitized.ptxconfig
>>
>> and then try and build it, but I get:
>>
>> error:        The ptxconfig file version and ptxdist version do not match:
>>
>>       configfile version: 2011.11.0
>>       ptxdist version:    2012.05.0
>>
>> Which ptxconfig should I select to get matching versions (where is it
>> located)? Or should I force the build?
>
> Building every OSELAS.Toolchain-2011.11.0/1 is tested with PTXdist-2011.11.0. If
> you want to be safe, install PTXdist-2011.11.0 and build the toolchain with
> this version.
> If you are brave, you can force the build also with the PTXdist-2012.05.0.
> Most of the time it will work, but this version combination is not tested here.
> So, in case of trouble we will blame you ;)
>
> Regards,
> Juergen
>
> --
> Pengutronix e.K.                              | Juergen Beisert             |
> Linux Solutions for Science and Industry      | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |
>
> --

Hi Juergen,

Then what about the BSP? Will I have to use the 2011.11.0 BSP too?
I want to take advantage of the latest packages available in the
latest BSP (2012.02.0).
If I'm going to compile BSP 2012.02.0 when using ptx 2011 and
toolchain 2011 it is going to give me the same error.

What should I do? What combination of tools should I use to compile
the latest BSP?

MC

* Re: [ptxdist] Building a older version toolchain using a a newer version ptxdist
@ 2012-05-16 18:31     ` MC Potgieter
From: MC Potgieter @ 2012-05-16 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 10:50 AM, MC Potgieter <mc.rdc@mweb.co.za> wrote:
> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 10:39 AM, Juergen Beisert <jbe@pengutronix.de> wrote:
>> MC Potgieter wrote:
>>> I'm trying to build the latest available combination of tools
>>> (ptxdist, BSP and toolchain)
>>>
>>> My versions are (this is the latest available tools):
>>>
>>> ptxdist: 2012.05.0
>>> oselas toolchain: 2011.11.0
>>> oselas BSP: 2012.02.0
>>>
>>> After installing ptxdist I configure the toolchain:
>>>
>>> ptxdist select  ptxconfigs/arm-v4t-linux-gnueabi_gcc-4.6.2_glibc-2.14.1_binutils-2.21.1a_kernel-2.6.39-sanitized.ptxconfig
>>>
>>> and then try and build it, but I get:
>>>
>>> error:        The ptxconfig file version and ptxdist version do not match:
>>>
>>>       configfile version: 2011.11.0
>>>       ptxdist version:    2012.05.0
>>>
>>> Which ptxconfig should I select to get matching versions (where is it
>>> located)? Or should I force the build?
>>
>> Building every OSELAS.Toolchain-2011.11.0/1 is tested with PTXdist-2011.11.0. If
>> you want to be safe, install PTXdist-2011.11.0 and build the toolchain with
>> this version.
>> If you are brave, you can force the build also with the PTXdist-2012.05.0.
>> Most of the time it will work, but this version combination is not tested here.
>> So, in case of trouble we will blame you ;)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Juergen
>>
>> --
>> Pengutronix e.K.                              | Juergen Beisert             |
>> Linux Solutions for Science and Industry      | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |
>>
>> --
>
> Hi Juergen,
>
> Then what about the BSP? Will I have to use the 2011.11.0 BSP too?
> I want to take advantage of the latest packages available in the
> latest BSP (2012.02.0).
> If I'm going to compile BSP 2012.02.0 when using ptx 2011 and
> toolchain 2011 it is going to give me the same error.
>
> What should I do? What combination of tools should I use to compile
> the latest BSP?
>
> MC

Or is the BSP compiled independent of the ptx and toolchain versions?

* Re: [ptxdist] Building a older version toolchain using a a newer version ptxdist
@ 2012-05-21 10:59     ` Alexander Dahl
From: Alexander Dahl @ 2012-05-21 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Am 2012-05-16 19:50, schrieb MC Potgieter:
> Then what about the BSP? Will I have to use the 2011.11.0 BSP too?
> I want to take advantage of the latest packages available in the
> latest BSP (2012.02.0).

You could take the offered BSP as base for your own stuff and for
example do an `ptxdist migrate` inside.

> What should I do? What combination of tools should I use to compile
> the latest BSP?

Build the toolchain as suggested: OSELAS Toolchain 2011.11.x with the
ptxdist version it wants. You can use this toolchain for all upcoming
BSP, at least for the foreseeable future.

Use the BSP you download with the ptxdist version it wants. ptxdist
complains if the BSP is for another version of ptxdist. If you want to
have the new features of newer ptxdist versions upgrade your BSP by
using `ptxdist migrate` as stated above.

Greets
Alex

--
»With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured,
irrevocably.« (Jean-Luc Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie)