From: Simon Falsig <sfalsig@verity.net>
To: "ptxdist@pengutronix.de" <ptxdist@pengutronix.de>
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] SBOM support
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 16:54:16 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi,

> I'd be happy to get a bit of initial feedback on the approach. I'll have a
> look at putting up some initial patches in the coming days too.
>
> Thanks in advance and best regards,

Sorry for the silence around this, but I've been busy with other things in
the last months.

Finally managed to get something working, that integrates with the existing
host-system-python3 handling. I'll be sending some patches right after this.

Main open questions would be:
- Currently HOST_SYSTEM_PYTHON3 and (the new) HOST_SYSTEM_PYTHON3_CYCLONEDX
  packages need to be enabled manually through the "enable sbom report
  generation" option in PTXdist options. Not sure if that is the right place
  for it, or if there is a nicer way of handling it? (for instance, if it's
  not enabled, 'ptxdist sbom-report' will just fail with a not-so-helpful
  error message...)
- It looks a bit like a local venv is being set up (in sysroot-host), but
  I can't really figure out how to use it. A nice change could be to install
  whatever host-system packages are needed in that venv automatically? Right
  now the functionality requires users to manually install the required
  python library with pip.

Happy to hear of any input!
Thanks in advance,
Simon