* [ptxdist] Loading kernel configuration from an existing platform ( where is the file ??? :D )
@ 2012-04-27 14:40 barhoumi mohtadi
From: barhoumi mohtadi @ 2012-04-27 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

hi everyone ,

 i have to reconstruct a kernel configuration of a
new platform from an existing one after i was forced to re-install my ubuntu, i want to load the kernelconfig file of the older system ( i have saved my /home ( and of course my BSPFolder) as well as my /usr,
 but i didn't found the kernel config anywhere.
 there is in
/BSPFOlder_Of_What_I_Had/configs/my_architecture two kernel (2.6.37 and 3.0) files that does not
correspond to the configurations of the older system and that are exactly the same as the files in /mynewBSPFolder/configs/my_architecture.

Anyone could help find out where the kernel file is stored?

Thanks

Mohtadi BARHOUMIIngénieur R&D en infotmatique  au CReSTIC
Université de Reims Champagne-Ardennes (URCA)Campus Moulin de la Housse, Bâtiment 12, Bureau 41Mobile : +33(0)6 18 98 18 84E-mail : mohtadi.barhoumi@univ-reims.fr / mohtadi_barhoumi@hotmail.fr

* Re: [ptxdist] Loading kernel configuration from an existing platform ( where is the file ??? :D )
@ 2012-04-29 20:27 ` Dave Festing
From: Dave Festing @ 2012-04-29 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

barhoumi mohtadi <mohtadi_barhoumi@...> writes:

> hi everyone , i have to reconstruct a kernel configuration of a
> new platform from an existing one after i was forced to re-install my ubuntu,
i want to load the kernelconfig file of the older system ( i have saved my /home
( and of course my BSPFolder) as well as my /usr,
>  but i didn't found the kernel config anywhere. there is in
> /BSPFOlder_Of_What_I_Had/configs/my_architecture two kernel (2.6.37 and 3.0)
files that does not
> correspond to the configurations of the older system and that are exactly the
same as the files in /mynewBSPFolder/configs/my_architecture.Anyone could help
find out where the kernel file is stored?Thanks
> Mohtadi BARHOUMI
> Ingénieur R&D en infotmatique  au CReSTIC
>
> Université de Reims Champagne-Ardennes (URCA)
> Campus Moulin de la Housse, Bâtiment 12, Bureau 41
> Mobile : +33(0)6 18 98 18 84
> E-mail : mohtadi.barhoumi <at> univ-reims.fr /
mohtadi_barhoumi@hotmail.fr

Just some suggestions:  did you look in
/platform-mini2440/build-target/linux-version-you-want/.config (a hidden file)
and /configs/platform-friendlyarm-mini240/kernelconfig-used-you-want.

My current understanding is that both these files have the same content and when
you run ptxdist kernelconfig it will first look at the 2nd file I mentioned.

* Re: [ptxdist] Loading kernel configuration from an existing platform ( where is the file ??? :D )
@ 2012-05-02  7:53   ` barhoumi mohtadi
From: barhoumi mohtadi @ 2012-05-02  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi,

Thanks for your response :
I've tried to load that file , i can see that options are checked, i save my configuration, but when running kernelconfig another time, it's like i've done nothing!! the confiugration has not been loaded properly i guess...

:\

@ 2012-05-02 11:52     ` Alexander Dahl
From: Alexander Dahl @ 2012-05-02 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hei hei,

Am 2012-05-02 09:53, schrieb barhoumi mohtadi:
> I've tried to load that file , i can see that options are checked, i
> save my configuration, but when running kernelconfig another time,
> it's like i've done nothing!! the confiugration has not been loaded
> properly i guess...

This sounds like a problem one has with upgrading kernels too. In our
BSP there's this:

  PTXCONF_KERNEL_CONFIG="kernelconfig-${PTXCONF_KERNEL_VERSION}"

So there's one config for each kernel version. When upgrading I do the
following:

  * `ptxdist kernelconfig`
  * "Load an Alternate Configuration File" – Here load your old config,
the in background called 'make menuconfig' for the kernelconfig handles
new options.
  * Do your settings or check your old ones.
  * "Save an Alternate Configuration File" – Enter '.config' here.

ptxdist handles copying .config to
kernelconfig-${PTXCONF_KERNEL_VERSION} in both directions, at least this
is what I guessed from the behaviour.

So you do not only need to load your old config but save it to .config
(without path before). You can now call `ptxdist kernelconfig` again and
your config should still be there.

HTH & Greets
Alex

--
»With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured,
irrevocably.« (Jean-Luc Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie)

* Re: [ptxdist] Loading kernel configuration from an existing platform ( where is the file ??? :D )
@ 2012-05-02 11:58       ` barhoumi mohtadi
From: barhoumi mohtadi @ 2012-05-02 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist