* [ptxdist] libblkid
@ 2018-06-11  7:34 Jakov Simunic
From: Jakov Simunic @ 2018-06-11  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi,
I am confused about rules/libblkid.in, there is no corresponding rules/libblkid.make file, I use this to build udev, but it fails this way when i do the following:

./ptxdist clean
./ptxdist compile udev

It fails in the configure with the error: checking for BLKID... not found
However, it builds when i first do this:

./ptxdist clean
./ptxdist targetinstall util-linux-ng
./ptxdist compile udev

So my conclusion is that ptxdist can't build libblkid without a corresponding rule/libblkid.make, should one be written?
Currently I just made udev.make select UTIL_LINUX_NG but it doesn't seem right to me.

--
Lijep pozdrav / Best regards
Jakov Šimunić

* Re: [ptxdist] libblkid
@ 2018-06-11  7:53 ` Alexander Dahl
From: Alexander Dahl @ 2018-06-11  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist; +Cc: Jakov Simunic

Hello Jakov

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 07:34:04AM +0000, Jakov Simunic wrote:
> I am confused about rules/libblkid.in, there is no corresponding
> rules/libblkid.make file, I use this to build udev, but it fails
> this way when i do the following:
>
> ./ptxdist clean
> ./ptxdist compile udev
>
> It fails in the configure with the error: checking for BLKID... not found
> However, it builds when i first do this:
>
> ./ptxdist clean
> ./ptxdist targetinstall util-linux-ng
> ./ptxdist compile udev

So udev seems to require libblkid, but for some reason no suitable
libblkid is built before compiling udev.

This may get interesting, because both libblkid and udev are virtual
packages (which lack documentation)?

> So my conclusion is that ptxdist can't build libblkid without a
> corresponding rule/libblkid.make, should one be written?

No.

> Currently I just made udev.make select UTIL_LINUX_NG but it doesn't seem right to me.

Neither to me. In ptxdist master UDEV_LEGACY selects (the virtual)
LIBBLKID and SYSTEMD also selects LIBBLKID. LIBBLKID itself selects
UTIL_LINUX_NG and UTIL_LINUX_NG_LIBBLKID. So that all looks good to
me.

Which ptxdist version are you using? Did you compare the
rules/libblkid.in and rules/udev.in to current master?

Greets
Alex

--
/"\ ASCII RIBBON | »With the first link, the chain is forged. The first
\ / CAMPAIGN     | speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [ptxdist] libblkid
@ 2018-06-11  9:29   ` Jakov Simunic
From: Jakov Simunic @ 2018-06-11  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist, post

Thanks for replying so fast.
Could you give me a brief explanation of virtual packages (or a link)?

Could you explain a bit more in detail why a rules/libblkid.make isn't required?
AFAIK libkmod has a rules/libkmod.in and a rules/libkmod.make,
don't know the reason why it does, just pointing it out.

Yeah, I have compared rules/libblkid.in and rules/udev.in to the current master
and it seems that our files are outdated, I will patch them and try again.
I am pretty embarrassed by the version of ptxdist that we use for our project
it says 1.99.20, since this is a big corporation, things don't really get updated
as frequently as they should and I don't have the authority to demand the upgrade.
Basically I have to work with what I have, but I am not losing faith!!!

--
Lijep pozdrav / Best regards
Jakov Šimunić

@ 2018-06-11  9:48     ` Alexander Dahl
From: Alexander Dahl @ 2018-06-11  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist; +Cc: Jakov Simunic

Hei hei,

Am Montag, 11. Juni 2018, 09:29:01 CEST schrieb Jakov Simunic:
> Thanks for replying so fast.
> Could you give me a brief explanation of virtual packages (or a link)?

I'm sorry, I can't. Virtual packages seem to be missing in the documentation.
:-/

However, if you are new to ptxdist you should read the documentation first.
It's not that long, but it should give you a good overview over the concepts.

> Yeah, I have compared rules/libblkid.in and rules/udev.in to the current
> master and it seems that our files are outdated, I will patch them and try
> again. I am pretty embarrassed by the version of ptxdist that we use for
> our project it says 1.99.20, since this is a big corporation, things don't
> really get updated as frequently as they should and I don't have the
> authority to demand the upgrade. Basically I have to work with what I have,
> but I am not losing faith!!!

That one was released in 2009, that is nine years ago and long before I
started using ptxdist. If I suggested you should upgrade, you will probably
say you can't, won't you? ;-)

What I found on virtual packages in the Git history:

* c211a8d9981bd3f2c0e59c39bb16ab7ca8ace734 introduced virtual packages without
a corresponding makefile. That landed in ptxdist 2017.12.0.

* libblkid was marked as VIRTUAL in bd19a02631e16f0570b03ca68c1a97025c17c1fe,
which landed in ptxdist 2016.05.0.

* virtual packages in general seem to exist much longer, if I read correctly
since 2003, when ptxdist still used subversion instead of git.

* b9de6f83c3e0fa65d00749ad2f122a00d977e01a added the virtual package libblkid,
that landed in ptxdist 2010.03.0. Maybe you want to look at that version a
little closer when trying to backport things.

HTH & Greets
Alex

* Re: [ptxdist] libblkid
@ 2018-06-11 14:59 ` Michael Olbrich
From: Michael Olbrich @ 2018-06-11 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 07:34:04AM +0000, Jakov Simunic wrote:
> I am confused about rules/libblkid.in, there is no corresponding
> rules/libblkid.make file, I use this to build udev, but it fails this way
> when i do the following:
>
> ./ptxdist clean
> ./ptxdist compile udev
>
> It fails in the configure with the error: checking for BLKID... not found
> However, it builds when i first do this:
>
> ./ptxdist clean
> ./ptxdist targetinstall util-linux-ng
> ./ptxdist compile udev
>
> So my conclusion is that ptxdist can't build libblkid without a corresponding
> rule/libblkid.make, should one be written?
> Currently I just made udev.make select UTIL_LINUX_NG but it doesn't seem
> right to me.

udev.in not udev.make, right? For your PTXdist version that's the correct
solution. At least I think so, I barely remember that this version ever
existed... ;-)

Regards,
Michael

* Re: [ptxdist] libblkid
@ 2018-06-12  7:14   ` Jakov Simunic
From: Jakov Simunic @ 2018-06-12  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hello Michael,
Yes, you are right, it is udev.in.
Btw, still haven't resolved it, somehow ptxdist also tries to build e2fsprogs,
although i don't see it selected in the files I modified (it is commented the
same way as in current ptx master), does ptx 1.99.20 even have commenting
support?

--
Lijep pozdrav / Best regards
Jakov Šimunić

@ 2018-06-12  9:32     ` Michael Olbrich
From: Michael Olbrich @ 2018-06-12  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 07:14:35AM +0000, Jakov Simunic wrote:
> Yes, you are right, it is udev.in.
> Btw, still haven't resolved it, somehow ptxdist also tries to build e2fsprogs,
> although i don't see it selected in the files I modified (it is commented the
> same way as in current ptx master), does ptx 1.99.20 even have commenting
> support?

A long time ago libblkid was provided by e2fsprogs, so maybe you need to
select this instead. I'm not sure what you mean by 'commenting support'.

Michael

* Re: [ptxdist] libblkid
@ 2018-06-12 11:14       ` Jakov Simunic
From: Jakov Simunic @ 2018-06-12 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Resolved it, I just copied your files from master but I didn't check the ptxdist configuration,
in which the e2fsprogs package was still selected although I deleted it from util-linux-ng.in
(the 1.99.20 version of util-linux-ng.in) and the build failed cause ptx was getting the libblkid
from util-linux-ng (master version) but still tried to build e2fsprogs libblkid and those two
conflicted.
Once I had removed the e2fsprogs package from the ptxdist configuration, then the build
worked like a charm.
By 'commenting support' I meant that due to the problem described above I thought
ptxdist was executing commented lines in rules/util-linux-ng.in (the 1.99.20 version),
you are probably confused with what i said now, but what I did is the following:
	1. Changed util-linux-ng.make, but didn't changed the util-linux-ng.in
	2. Tried to build, didn't work.
	3. Thought that the commented lines in util-linux-ng.in were executing
	because they contained E2FSPROGS but I commented them out, so
	I didn't know why ptxdist built e2fsprogs, without aksing me.
	4. Changed util-linux-ng.in, tried to build, conflict between util-linux-ng
	and e2fsprogs showed up.
	5. Chenged ptxdist configuration, disabled e2fsprogs, then it worked.
--
Lijep pozdrav / Best regards
Jakov Šimunić