* Re: [ptxdist] Where to find parameters for UBIFS creation
@ 2014-04-24  6:22 Ivor Kruger
From: Ivor Kruger @ 2014-04-24  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Actually, let me rephrase my question slightly:

Where can I change the flder that is used to create the images from when
the command "ptxdist images² are used.

I can then just set that folder to my modified NFS root folder and run the
command normally.

Thanks
Ivor

@ 2014-04-24  7:46 ` Michael Olbrich
From: Michael Olbrich @ 2014-04-24  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 08:22:10AM +0200, Ivor Kruger wrote:
> Actually, let me rephrase my question slightly:
>
> Where can I change the flder that is used to create the images from when
> the command "ptxdist images² are used.
>
> I can then just set that folder to my modified NFS root folder and run the
> command normally.

You can't. The folder is generated on the fly in a fakeroot with the proper
ownership and permission. This is done for good reasons. Just packaging the
NFS root folder can cause all kinds of problems.
You should create proper packages that install you files correctly and then
use the normal mechanism to create the images.

Michael

* Re: [ptxdist] Where to find parameters for UBIFS creation
@ 2014-04-24  7:58 ` Juergen Borleis
       [not found]   ` <CF7E914A.EE00%ivor@veriline.co.za>
From: Juergen Borleis @ 2014-04-24  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist; +Cc: Ivor Kruger

Hi Ivor,

On Thursday 24 April 2014 08:22:10 Ivor Kruger wrote:
> Actually, let me rephrase my question slightly:
>
> Where can I change the flder that is used to create the images from when
> the command "ptxdist images² are used.
>
> I can then just set that folder to my modified NFS root folder and run the
> command normally.

Don't do that. That doesn't work twice. If you need to change something in the
NFS directory to make your target happy, you should store these changes into
your BSP. Then you will be able to create this working image again and again
whenever you need it.

Regards,
Juergen

--
Pengutronix e.K.                              | Juergen Borleis             |
Linux Solutions for Science and Industry      | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |

* Re: [ptxdist] Where to find parameters for UBIFS creation
@ 2014-04-24  8:13   ` Ivor Kruger
       [not found]   ` <CF7E914A.EE00%ivor@veriline.co.za>
From: Ivor Kruger @ 2014-04-24  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

In order to avoid having to do this, what is the easiest way to add a user
application to the root/home folder?
Where do I add custom init.d scripts to get them as part of the image?

Ivor

@ 2014-04-24  8:49       ` Ivor Kruger
From: Ivor Kruger @ 2014-04-24  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Jurgen, that sounds easy enough, thanks. I will give it a try on my next
build.

Ivor

@ 2014-04-24  8:49     ` Juergen Borleis
From: Juergen Borleis @ 2014-04-24  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist; +Cc: Ivor Kruger

@ 2014-04-24  8:51     ` Juergen Borleis
From: Juergen Borleis @ 2014-04-24  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist; +Cc: Ivor Kruger

Hi Ivor,

please keep the mailing on CC.

On Thursday 24 April 2014 10:02:02 Ivor Kruger wrote:
> Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate the fact that it is the wrong way
> to do it. It is only for an interim solution to test something.

Hmm, you know how long the life cycles of interim solutions are? :))

Regards,
Juergen

--

@ 2014-04-24  8:57       ` Josef Holzmayr
From: Josef Holzmayr @ 2014-04-24  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

 > Hmm, you know how long the life cycles of interim solutions are? :))

Does it actually make sense to speak of "life cycle" when it comes to
things that are bound to last forever (like interim solutions usually do)?
Josef Holzmayr
Dipl-Ing. (FH)
Entwicklung Embedded Devices / Software

Tel.: +49 8444 9204-48>
Fax:  +49 8444 9204-50
holzmayr@rsi-elektrotechnik.de

R-S-I Elektrotechnik GmbH & Co. KG
Woelkestrasse 11
D-85301 Schweitenkirchen
www.rsi-elektrotechnik.de
Amtsgericht Ingolstadt - GmbH: HRB 191328 - KG: HRA 170363
Geschäftsführer: Dr.-Ing. Michael Sorg, Dipl.-Ing. Franz Sorg
USt-IdNr.: DE 128592548

@ 2014-04-24  9:09         ` Ivor Kruger
From: Ivor Kruger @ 2014-04-24  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Lol, the software really is only interim, it was to take the device
outside for some sunlight readability tests.

Ivor

@ 2014-04-24  9:22         ` Juergen Borleis
From: Juergen Borleis @ 2014-04-24  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist; +Cc: Josef Holzmayr

On Thursday 24 April 2014 10:57:53 Josef Holzmayr wrote:
>  > Hmm, you know how long the life cycles of interim solutions are? :))
>
> Does it actually make sense to speak of "life cycle" when it comes to
> things that are bound to last forever (like interim solutions usually do)?

You are right :)

Juergen

--

@ 2014-04-24  7:46 ` Juergen Borleis
From: Juergen Borleis @ 2014-04-24  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist; +Cc: Ivor Kruger

Hi Ivor,

On Thursday 24 April 2014 07:50:19 Ivor Kruger wrote:
> Hi, I want to create a ubi image from my NFS root mount folder.
>
> I will use mkfs.ubi.
>
> Where can I find the settings that ptxdist uses for creating the ubi fs
> files, since these work perfect?

For the correct UBI image layout run the tool "mtdinfo" on your target.
$ ptxdist menuconfig
   Shell & Console Tools --->
     <*> mtd-utils --->
         [*]   ubi utils  --->
             [*]   mtdinfo

You shouldn't use the NFS root directory as the base of your UBI image. Let
ptxdist create this image instead. In the latter case ptxdist ensures the
correct owners and permissions of the files inside the UBI filesystem.

If you are using the old way to create a UBI image, you can find the current
parameters in the platform menu ("$ ptxdist menuconfig platform" -> image
creation options).
If the new way to create a UBI image is used, you can find the settings
in "configs/<your-platform>/config/images/<some-name>.config"

Regards,
Juergen

--

@ 2014-04-24  5:50 Ivor Kruger