* [ptxdist] External Kconfig menuconfig/nconfig failed
@ 2015-09-13 12:17 Alexander Aring
From: Alexander Aring @ 2015-09-13 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi,

several weeks I have the following issue by calling:

ptxdist menuconfig kernel

or

ptxdist menuconfig barebox

Both failed, here is the ptxdist -v menuconfig kernel output:

ptxdist: Checking dependencies. This may take some seconds.

make[1]: Entering directory '/home/alex/devel/bluetooth-next'
make -f ./scripts/Makefile.build obj=scripts/basic
rm -f .tmp_quiet_recordmcount
make -f ./scripts/Makefile.build obj=scripts/kconfig menuconfig
/bin/sh ./scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/check-lxdialog.sh -check gcc -DCURSES_LOC="<ncurses.h>" -DLOCALE  -lncursesw
scripts/kconfig/mconf  Kconfig
Error opening terminal: rxvt-unicode-256color.
scripts/kconfig/Makefile:28: recipe for target 'menuconfig' failed
make[2]: *** [menuconfig] Error 1
Makefile:531: recipe for target 'menuconfig' failed
make[1]: *** [menuconfig] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/alex/devel/bluetooth-next'
/home/alex/local/lib/ptxdist-2015.08.0-00001-g8a15fd6a660b/rules/kernel.make:267: recipe for target 'kernel_menuconfig' failed
make: *** [kernel_menuconfig] Error 2

ptxdist: 'kernel menuconfig' returned with an error

---

I thought the reason was some "stupid" $TERM declartion. But when I try to use
some great terminal implementation like "xterm", I got the same issue.

Checking earlier ptxdist versions or kernels doesn't help. My
distribution "ArchLinux" updated some sofware which seems that they
introduced some API change, like the glibc change for setenv (Maybe it
is this issue also, I don't know exactly).

What works is calling "ptxdist menuconfig" inside my BSP. When I go into
my external kernel directory and calling "scripts/kconfig/mconf
Kconfig" or "make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-cortexa8-linux-gnueabihf-'
menuconfig" - it works.

I also tried to call "nconfig" which ends in the same result.

My debugging efforts ends in the function [0] which I still try to
figure out what it does. :-)

At the moment I am stucked there and I need to workaround by "do some
manual config changes" this issue. Any help what I should try to
downgrade packages or changes into my lib/ptxdist-$FOOBAR directory are
welcome.

I also tried to look into libncurses if this was upgraded at my
distribution but this wasn't.

- Alex

[0] http://git.pengutronix.de/?p=ptxdist.git;a=blob;f=scripts/libptxdist.sh;hb=c64b6acacced5b643b8bb4d2be90262a73a39725#l356

* Re: [ptxdist] External Kconfig menuconfig/nconfig failed
@ 2015-10-21 13:58 ` Wim Vinckier
From: Wim Vinckier @ 2015-10-21 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist; +Cc: alex.aring

Hi,

Did you found a solution for this? It seems like I'm having the same
problem. :-(

Kind regards,

wim vinckier.

@ 2015-10-21 17:08   ` Alexander Aring
From: Alexander Aring @ 2015-10-21 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wim Vinckier; +Cc: ptxdist

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 03:58:55PM +0200, Wim Vinckier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Did you found a solution for this? It seems like I'm having the same
> problem. :-(

I didn't find a solution. For me, the issue is gone since the last
system upgrade. I don't have the issue anymore and don't know why I had
it.

Maybe try a system upgrade.

- Alex

* Re: [ptxdist] External Kconfig menuconfig/nconfig failed
@ 2015-10-22  6:43     ` Wim Vinckier
From: Wim Vinckier @ 2015-10-22  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist; +Cc: Alexander Aring

Hi,

On 21 October 2015 at 19:08, Alexander Aring <alex.aring@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 03:58:55PM +0200, Wim Vinckier wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Did you found a solution for this? It seems like I'm having the same
>> problem. :-(
>>

> I didn't find a solution. For me, the issue is gone since the last
> system upgrade. I don't have the issue anymore and don't know why I had
> it.
>
> Maybe try a system upgrade.
>
> - Alex

I'm currently building mine on a virtual box with the latest debian7
but I think I have a debian8 lying around.  I'll try that one and hope
it will work.

Thanks for the answer.

Kind regards,

wim vinckier.

* Re: [ptxdist] External Kconfig menuconfig/nconfig failed
@ 2015-10-22  7:40       ` Alexander Aring
From: Alexander Aring @ 2015-10-22  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wim Vinckier; +Cc: ptxdist

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 08:43:43AM +0200, Wim Vinckier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 21 October 2015 at 19:08, Alexander Aring <alex.aring@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 03:58:55PM +0200, Wim Vinckier wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Did you found a solution for this? It seems like I'm having the same
> >> problem. :-(
> >>

> > I didn't find a solution. For me, the issue is gone since the last
> > system upgrade. I don't have the issue anymore and don't know why I had
> > it.
> >
> > Maybe try a system upgrade.
> >
> > - Alex
>
> I'm currently building mine on a virtual box with the latest debian7
> but I think I have a debian8 lying around.  I'll try that one and hope
> it will work.
>
> Thanks for the answer.

mhh, I thought you are on a bleeding edge distribution like me. So I
think a system upgrade should not solve this issue.

I also migrate to 2015.09.0, maybe this helps. I think not because when
I had this error I already tried to use different ptxdist version
without success.

It need to be something with a special "software" enviornment. Okay then
I would say a software upgrade could help, but debian is so stable. :-/

- Alex

* Re: [ptxdist] External Kconfig menuconfig/nconfig failed
@ 2015-10-23 14:54         ` Wim Vinckier
From: Wim Vinckier @ 2015-10-23 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Aring; +Cc: ptxdist

Hi,

On 22 October 2015 at 09:40, Alexander Aring <alex.aring@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 08:43:43AM +0200, Wim Vinckier wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 21 October 2015 at 19:08, Alexander Aring <alex.aring@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,

>> > I didn't find a solution. For me, the issue is gone since the last
>> > system upgrade. I don't have the issue anymore and don't know why I had
>> > it.
>> >
>> > Maybe try a system upgrade.
>> >
>> > - Alex
>>
>> I'm currently building mine on a virtual box with the latest debian7
>> but I think I have a debian8 lying around.  I'll try that one and hope
>> it will work.
>>
>> Thanks for the answer.
>>

> mhh, I thought you are on a bleeding edge distribution like me. So I
> think a system upgrade should not solve this issue.
>
> I also migrate to 2015.09.0, maybe this helps. I think not because when
> I had this error I already tried to use different ptxdist version
> without success.
>
> It need to be something with a special "software" enviornment. Okay then
> I would say a software upgrade could help, but debian is so stable. :-/
>
> - Alex

I actually fixed it by running `ptxdist clean host-ncurses` first.  I
saw scripts/kconfig/mconf was linked against that library so I thought
I could give that idea a try.  But now it compiles.

Kind regards,

wim vinckier.

* Re: [ptxdist] External Kconfig menuconfig/nconfig failed
@ 2015-10-29  8:26           ` Alexander Aring
From: Alexander Aring @ 2015-10-29  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wim Vinckier; +Cc: ptxdist

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 04:54:34PM +0200, Wim Vinckier wrote:

> I actually fixed it by running `ptxdist clean host-ncurses` first.  I
> saw scripts/kconfig/mconf was linked against that library so I thought
> I could give that idea a try.  But now it compiles.

I guess I know what's happening here.

1. You have some pre compiled "scripts/kconfig/mconf".

2. Running system upgrade -> it updates something at libncurses (or
   maybe other dependency, don't know it right now. When I had this
   issue I downgrade libncurses and it doesn't solve the issue).

3. Then it doesn't works anymore. A recompile of "host-ncurses" and new
   building/linking of "scripts/kconfig/mconf" helps.

This sounds like some real-host vs ptxdist-host issue. Something is
provided by ptxdist-host, but also uses parts from real-host.

But this always exists e.g. glibc.

Or maybe ptxdist used at "scripts/kconfig/mconf" from ptxdist-host while
building/linking. But the LD_PRELOAD_PATH, etc isn't right set when
calling "scripts/kconfig/mconf" so a real-host env will be used. I think
this is more likely.

Then I remember that a "ptxdist kernelconfig" doesn't work, but inside
the kernel source tree a "scripts/kconfig/mconf" worked. I think
"host-ncurses" should not link against "host-ncurses" to avoid such
issues. The internal "ptxdist menuconfig" works because it's linked
against "real-host" ncurses lib. (when you type make inside ptxdist
source).

So we should be sure that for Kconfig building/linking and execution
the "real-host" env is used, not anything from "ptxdist-host". Not
"ptxdist-host" because you don't want have linked binaries from
"ptxdist-host" in external source tree's.

This all occurs because our systems has updated some libaries which was
ncurses related, otherwise it looks that it was somehow compatible
together.

Anyway seems like a very rarely issue.

Thanks for providing a solution here.

- Alex