* [ptxdist] [ANNOUNCE] Mini2440: December Release of the Free Board Support Package available
@ 2011-12-23 14:50 Juergen Beisert
From: Juergen Beisert @ 2011-12-23 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: oselas; +Cc: ptxdist, embedded-linux

Last month of this year, so also the last release for this year.

                   OSELAS.BSP-Pengutronix-Mini2440
                   -------------------------------

Pengutronix offers the 2011.12.0 release of it's Board Support Package for
FriendlyARM's popular Mini2440.
It provides all required components to get this embedded target up and
running, and is dedicated for beginners in the embedded world. And for
experienced users it can act as a quick start for their own development
as well.

Please note: This will be the last release of the Mini2440 BSP on a monthly
base. This platform is well supported now, so this BSP needs more maintenance
than development. I will change to "one release per quarter" now. This will
still ensure the BSP keeps track of new Linux kernel releases. I will also
still add Linux kernel stable releases and fix bugs if they occur. If one
depends on this kind of changes/fixes she/he must use the GIT repository up
to the next quarter release.

Updated Features:
-----------------

- PTXdist-2011.12.1
  - minor updates and bug fixes all over the place
- new OSELAS.Toolchain-2011.11.0
  - gcc-4.6.2
  - binutils-2.21.1a
  - glibc-2.14.1
- Kernel 3.1, stable release 6
- kernel 3.0, stable release 14
- udev rule to distinguish touchscreen, button and buzzer device fixed to
  make it work with USB based mice (thanks to Wingston for the report)
- beside the small Qt4/QWT demo this BSP now comes also with a Qt4/QML demo
  to show the new scripting features of Qt4 (thanks to Josef for the code)

Please note: You can still use the OSELAS.Toolchain-2011.03.1 to build this
new BSP release. Just change the toolchain settings in the platform
configuration. But please keep in mind I did not test this release with the
older toolchain (it should still work, maybe, most of the time....).

Feature List:
-------------

- PTXdist based buildsystem for easy setup and build
- more than one predefined configuration
  - one without graphic, for headless usage
  - one with full blown Qt support including two examples how to use it
- recent GCC Toolchain (GCC 4.6.2, libc 2.14.1)
- Bootloader: 'barebox' 2011.05.0
  Support for the following list of hardware components
  - serial console
  - network
  - SD card
  - NAND
- Kernel: Support for the following list of hardware components
  - serial console
  - network
  - sound
  - LED
  - GPIO
  - AD converter
  - I2C master and I2C EEPROM
  - SPI master
  - Watchdog
  - Keypad
  - USB (host and device)
  - various LC displays (N35/A70/VGA shield/T35/X35/W35i/N43)
  - framebuffer
  - touch
  - SD card
  - NAND
  - Buzzer
- Comprehensive documentation how to prepare and build all software components
  and to deploy the Mini2440.

Additional info can be found here:

http://www.oselas.org/oselas/bsp/pengutronix/index_en.html

Pengutronix also offers a free support mailing list for the free Board Support
Packages. Refer our website how to subscribe at:

Note: Beginners in the embedded world should also read our documentation about
the generic x86/ARM Board Support Package from here:

http://www.oselas.org/oselas/bsp/pengutronix/generic_bsp_en.html

This documentation contains basic information about PTXdist and how to use it
in one's daily work.

Comments and contributions are welcome.

Enjoy!
Your Pengutronix Development Team

--
Pengutronix e.K.                              | Juergen Beisert             |
Linux Solutions for Science and Industry      | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |