* [ptxdist] ptxdist: BUSYBOX_NTPD blocks NTP
@ 2015-01-26 16:24 Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
From: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia @ 2015-01-26 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hello all,

I am using the ntpd applet in busybox but also wanted to enable the ntpdate
program (yes I know use of ntpdate is not recommended in general but this
is for a very specific use case). However I see that ntpdate is part of the
"ntp" package and that the ntp package is blocked by BUSYBOX_NTPD. From
rules/ntp.in:

menuconfig NTP
        tristate
        prompt "ntp                           "
        select OPENSSL          if NTP_CRYPTO
        select ROOTFS_VAR_CACHE if NTP_NTPD
        select LIBC_M
        select LIBC_RT
        select GCCLIBS_GCC_S
        select LIBMD
        depends on !BUSYBOX_NTPD || ALLYES

[...]
config NTP_NTPDATE
        bool
        prompt "install ntpdate"
        depends on NTP

Obviously one would not want to run two ntp services at the same time, but
since busybox lacks an ntpdate command, there are cases where one would
want to use ntpdate from the NTP package while still using Busybox's ntpd
for everything else.

My question is: Is there any reason why this wouldn't work? Was the
"depends on !BUSYBOX_NTPD" line added just to avoid the possibility of the
two ntp services running at the same time? Or is it there to guard from
other possible problems/issues?

Thank you,

Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
guille.rodriguez@gmail.com

* Re: [ptxdist] ptxdist: BUSYBOX_NTPD blocks NTP
@ 2015-01-27  7:56 ` Michael Olbrich
From: Michael Olbrich @ 2015-01-27  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 05:24:55PM +0100, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am using the ntpd applet in busybox but also wanted to enable the ntpdate
> program (yes I know use of ntpdate is not recommended in general but this
> is for a very specific use case). However I see that ntpdate is part of the
> "ntp" package and that the ntp package is blocked by BUSYBOX_NTPD. From
> rules/ntp.in:
>
> menuconfig NTP
>         tristate
>         prompt "ntp                           "
>         select OPENSSL          if NTP_CRYPTO
>         select ROOTFS_VAR_CACHE if NTP_NTPD
>         select LIBC_M
>         select LIBC_RT
>         select GCCLIBS_GCC_S
>         select LIBMD
>         depends on !BUSYBOX_NTPD || ALLYES
>
> [...]
> config NTP_NTPDATE
>         bool
>         prompt "install ntpdate"
>         depends on NTP
>

> Obviously one would not want to run two ntp services at the same time, but
> since busybox lacks an ntpdate command, there are cases where one would
> want to use ntpdate from the NTP package while still using Busybox's ntpd
> for everything else.
>
> My question is: Is there any reason why this wouldn't work? Was the
> "depends on !BUSYBOX_NTPD" line added just to avoid the possibility of the
> two ntp services running at the same time? Or is it there to guard from
> other possible problems/issues?

We usually add those lines only to prevent two packages from installing the
same file. In this case we have the !BUSYBOX_NTPD check twice, once for the
package and once for ntpd. This is clearly wrong. I don't see a reason why
the check for the packages is needed and I don't remember why I added it. I
suggest you remove the check (and the comment at the end of the file) and
see what happens.

Michael

* Re: [ptxdist] ptxdist: BUSYBOX_NTPD blocks NTP
@ 2015-01-27 18:23   ` Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
From: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia @ 2015-01-27 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist