From: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia <guille.rodriguez@gmail.com>
To: Markus Niebel <list-09_ptxdist@tqsc.de>
Cc: "ptxdist@pengutronix.de" <ptxdist@pengutronix.de>
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] ptxdist: Adding custom kernel headers
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 21:45:08 +0100	[thread overview]

guille.rodriguez@gmail.com>:

> Hello,

>> Am 26.01.2015 um 20:16 schrieb Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia:
>> > Hello all,
>> >
>> > I wrote a custom driver for my BSP, and I initially made it an
>> out-of-tree
>> > driver (ptxdist newpackage src-linux-driver and so on)
>> >
>> > This driver needs to export a header file (defining some ioctl values)
>> for
>> > use by other (custom) ptxdist packages. I am currently exporting this
>> > header file in the "install" stage of the out-of-tree driver:
>> >
>> > cp $(MY_DRIVER_DIR)/someheader.h $(PTXDIST_SYSROOT_TARGET)/usr/include
>> >
>> > So far so good.
>> >
>> > Now I would like to transform this out-of-tree driver into an in-tree
>> > driver and for that I am generating a set of patches against the kernel
>> > tree. My question is: How can I export the custom header in this case? I
>> > assume that modifying the generic kernel.make is not the way to go.
>> >
>> > Any hints?
>> >
>> split the internal from the external part and place the header to export
>> under
>> <kernel>/include/uapi/<correct subdir>
>> modify the Kbuild script in this subdir to add your header to the headers
>> to export
>> Generate patch series for your kernel and use this kernel version for the
>> kernel header package in ptxdist
>>

> Thank you, I think this is exactly what I needed!

Just playing with this now, is it normal that after selecting the kernel
headers
package in ptxdist it wants to rebuild all other packages?

Is there any way to use the "modified" kernel headers only for a specific
package (the custom driver mentioned above) without affecting the rest of
the packages?

Thank you,

Guillermo