Hi Michael, 2015-01-27 8:56 GMT+01:00 Michael Olbrich : > On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 05:24:55PM +0100, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote: > > Hello all, > > > > I am using the ntpd applet in busybox but also wanted to enable the > ntpdate > > program (yes I know use of ntpdate is not recommended in general but this > > is for a very specific use case). However I see that ntpdate is part of > the > > "ntp" package and that the ntp package is blocked by BUSYBOX_NTPD. From > > rules/ntp.in: > > > > menuconfig NTP > > tristate > > prompt "ntp " > > select OPENSSL if NTP_CRYPTO > > select ROOTFS_VAR_CACHE if NTP_NTPD > > select LIBC_M > > select LIBC_RT > > select GCCLIBS_GCC_S > > select LIBMD > > depends on !BUSYBOX_NTPD || ALLYES > > > > [...] > > config NTP_NTPDATE > > bool > > prompt "install ntpdate" > > depends on NTP > > > > > > Obviously one would not want to run two ntp services at the same time, > but > > since busybox lacks an ntpdate command, there are cases where one would > > want to use ntpdate from the NTP package while still using Busybox's ntpd > > for everything else. > > > > My question is: Is there any reason why this wouldn't work? Was the > > "depends on !BUSYBOX_NTPD" line added just to avoid the possibility of > the > > two ntp services running at the same time? Or is it there to guard from > > other possible problems/issues? > > We usually add those lines only to prevent two packages from installing the > same file. In this case we have the !BUSYBOX_NTPD check twice, once for the > package and once for ntpd. This is clearly wrong. I don't see a reason why > the check for the packages is needed and I don't remember why I added it. I > suggest you remove the check (and the comment at the end of the file) and > see what happens. > OK, tried just that: Removed the first (package-level) check, then selected ntpdate from the ntp package and ntpd from busybox, rebuilt, tested on the target, and I can confirm that everything works as expected. So I would say that this check can be removed. Thank you, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia guille.rodriguez@gmail.com