From: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia <guille.rodriguez@gmail.com>
To: Juergen Borleis <jbe@pengutronix.de>
Cc: oselas@community.pengutronix.de, Stella GZ <gzestela@gmail.com>,
	ptxdist@pengutronix.de
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] [oselas]  ptxdist on a x86 target, grub problem ?
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 14:08:33 +0200	[thread overview]

<guille.rodriguez@gmail.com>:
> Hi Juergen,

>> Hi Guillermo,
>>
>> On Monday 12 May 2014 20:14:08 Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> Ptxdist maintainers: Is there a reason for the separate menu.lst.i586
>>> file? Except for the issue described above it seems to be almost identical to
>>> the generic menu.lst file in ptxdist.
>>
>> Sometimes these kind of files where required because at the time of their
>> addition PTXdist didn't come with one. And later versions of PTXdist support
>> these files and we forget to remove the local file from the BSP.
>>
>> If you think this file is needless now (and you have tested it), you are
>> welcome to send a patch to remove it from the repo.
>
> I would say it should be either removed or fixed. What do you prefer?

After having a second look: I think the right thing to do would be to remove
this file, however this doesn't work as expected. By default, grub.in defines
a hardcoded path for the GRUB_MENU_LIST option:
${PTXDIST_WORKSPACE}/projectroot/boot/grub/menu.lst

So if the file from projectroot/... is simply removed, the menu.lst from
generic/boot/grub/ is NOT used.

I think this was not the intention (looks like the generic file should be used
if no project specific file is available) but I am not sure how this should be
fixed.

So perhaps the best way is just to patch the local menu.lst file in the
Generic BSP.

--
Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
guille.rodriguez@gmail.com