* [ptxdist] Platform-specific kernel patchset not applied to kernel headers package?
@ 2018-01-26  7:58 Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
From: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia @ 2018-01-26  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi all,

I am creating a ptxdist BSP and have a series.<platform> patchset for a
given kernel version. I have noticed that this patchset is ignored when the
KERNEL_HEADER package is built -- instead, a "series" file is automatically
created and used.

Is this normal/expected? Shouldn't the series.<platform> file be used
instead?

Best regards,

Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
guille.rodriguez@gmail.com

* Re: [ptxdist] Platform-specific kernel patchset not applied to kernel headers package?
@ 2018-01-26 12:40 ` Alexander Dahl
From: Alexander Dahl @ 2018-01-26 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hei hei,

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 08:58:52AM +0100, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
> I am creating a ptxdist BSP and have a series.<platform> patchset for a
> given kernel version. I have noticed that this patchset is ignored when the
> KERNEL_HEADER package is built -- instead, a "series" file is automatically
> created and used.
>
> Is this normal/expected? Shouldn't the series.<platform> file be used
> instead?

It is at least known. I stumbled over this last year:

https://www.mail-archive.com/ptxdist@pengutronix.de/msg12233.html

Michael gave some hints for possible workarounds.

Greets
Alex

--
»With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured,
irrevocably.« (Jean-Luc Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie)

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [ptxdist] Platform-specific kernel patchset not applied to kernel headers package?
@ 2018-01-26 12:58   ` Michael Olbrich
From: Michael Olbrich @ 2018-01-26 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 01:40:31PM +0100, Alexander Dahl wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 08:58:52AM +0100, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
> > I am creating a ptxdist BSP and have a series.<platform> patchset for a
> > given kernel version. I have noticed that this patchset is ignored when the
> > KERNEL_HEADER package is built -- instead, a "series" file is automatically
> > created and used.
> >
> > Is this normal/expected? Shouldn't the series.<platform> file be used
> > instead?
>
> It is at least known. I stumbled over this last year:
>
> https://www.mail-archive.com/ptxdist@pengutronix.de/msg12233.html
>
> Michael gave some hints for possible workarounds.

Right, check that thread.

Also, why do you need a 'series.<platform>' instead of a normal series file?
And why do you need the patches for the kernel headers?

Michael

* Re: [ptxdist] Platform-specific kernel patchset not applied to kernel headers package?
@ 2018-01-29  9:51     ` Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
From: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia @ 2018-01-29  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 01:40:31PM +0100, Alexander Dahl wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 08:58:52AM +0100, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
> wrote:
> > > I am creating a ptxdist BSP and have a series.<platform> patchset for a
> > > given kernel version. I have noticed that this patchset is ignored
> when the
> > > KERNEL_HEADER package is built -- instead, a "series" file is
> automatically
> > > created and used.
> > >
> > > Is this normal/expected? Shouldn't the series.<platform> file be used
> > > instead?
> >
> > It is at least known. I stumbled over this last year:
> >
> > https://www.mail-archive.com/ptxdist@pengutronix.de/msg12233.html
> >
> > Michael gave some hints for possible workarounds.
>

> Right, check that thread.
>
> Also, why do you need a 'series.<platform>' instead of a normal series
> file?

I used series.<platform> because the BSP currently supports two platforms
(two boards), and some of the patches are platform-specific.

> And why do you need the patches for the kernel headers?

This is because I am building imx6 specific packages which require a set of
kernel headers, and these must include imx6-specific bits.

In the thread that Alexander mentioned in his reply you mention the
following:

1. Move the patches to configs/platform-XXX/patches/linux-4.9.47/ and just
use 'series'.

I guess this solves my problem, however, just out of curiosity: If the
kernel headers package will pick up the correct patchset from
configs/platform-XXX/patches/linux-4.9.47, shouldn't it also pick it up if
it lives in patches/linux-4.9.47/series.XXX ?

Guillermo

From: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia @ 2018-01-29  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

> Hei hei,
>
> On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 08:58:52AM +0100, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
> > I am creating a ptxdist BSP and have a series.<platform> patchset for a
> > given kernel version. I have noticed that this patchset is ignored when
> the
> > KERNEL_HEADER package is built -- instead, a "series" file is
> automatically
> > created and used.
> >
> > Is this normal/expected? Shouldn't the series.<platform> file be used
> > instead?
>
> It is at least known. I stumbled over this last year:
>
> https://www.mail-archive.com/ptxdist@pengutronix.de/msg12233.html
>
> Michael gave some hints for possible workarounds.

Thank you, this is indeed helpful -- even though I don't quite understand
the rationale behind the current behaviour.

Guillermo

* Re: [ptxdist] Platform-specific kernel patchset not applied to kernel headers package?
@ 2018-01-29 10:37       ` Michael Olbrich
From: Michael Olbrich @ 2018-01-29 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 10:51:07AM +0100, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 01:40:31PM +0100, Alexander Dahl wrote:
> > when the
> > automatically

> > > It is at least known. I stumbled over this last year:
> > >
> > > https://www.mail-archive.com/ptxdist@pengutronix.de/msg12233.html
> > >
> > > Michael gave some hints for possible workarounds.
> >

> > Right, check that thread.
> >
> > Also, why do you need a 'series.<platform>' instead of a normal series
> > file?
> >

> I used series.<platform> because the BSP currently supports two platforms
> (two boards), and some of the patches are platform-specific.
>

> > And why do you need the patches for the kernel headers?
> >

> This is because I am building imx6 specific packages which require a set of
> kernel headers, and these must include imx6-specific bits.
>
> In the thread that Alexander mentioned in his reply you mention the
> following:
>
> 1. Move the patches to configs/platform-XXX/patches/linux-4.9.47/ and just
> use 'series'.

In most cases, that's the correct way to handle this. All platform specific
files should be in configs/platform-XXX/ anyways.

Keeping the patches Toplevel has one use-case:
Some patches are used by both platforms. I'd still move the patches to the
platforms and use symlinks to share: Patches can be in subdirs, so just on
Symlink to the common set of patches is enough.

> I guess this solves my problem, however, just out of curiosity: If the
> kernel headers package will pick up the correct patchset from
> configs/platform-XXX/patches/linux-4.9.47, shouldn't it also pick it up if
> it lives in patches/linux-4.9.47/series.XXX ?

Checking in configs/platform-XXX/patches/ is a generic PTXdist mechanism.
Using 'series.XXX' is a hack in the Kernel patches to work with bad
patches. It's a mechanism that I'd like to get rid of. But there are still
people using it.
It's not something I want to spread to other packages.

Regards,
Michael

* Re: [ptxdist] Platform-specific kernel patchset not applied to kernel headers package?
@ 2018-01-29 11:55         ` Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
From: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia @ 2018-01-29 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist