* [ptxdist] gpsd library
@ 2013-09-13  9:29 Thomas Walter
From: Thomas Walter @ 2013-09-13  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hallo,

ich habe eine Frage bzgl. GPSD bzw. libgps.a. Unter Ubuntu setzte ich sowohl
auf dem PC als auch auf einem non-ptxdist embedded System (ebenfalls Ubuntu)
die neueste Version der gps Libraries ein (3.9-3).  Tests mit der aktuellen
arm libgpsd-dev 3.9 Version auf meinem Phytec AM335 Board (Toolchain
2001.11.1, BSP 12.1.1) zeigten, dass diese GPS Lib eine neuere libc
voraussetzt als in der Toolchain und dem Target verfügbar. Ich bin dann bei
libgps-dev auf die Version 3.6-4 herunter gegangen und damit scheint es
jetzt zu gehen. Das einzige was mir auffällt ist, das ich bei „speed“
teilweise „NaN“ (Not a Number) bekomme, was ich mit derselben GPS Mouse
unter den anderen Systemen (Linux PC und Linux embedded System) nicht
bekomme. Die restlichen Werte sind OK.

Meine Frage ist nun: Ist der Einsatz der Library 3.6-4 OK? Wenn nein, welche
gps Library soll ich einsetzen?

System:

HW: phyCORE-AM335

SW: Toolchain 2001.11.1, BSP: phyCORE-AM335x-PD12.1.1

* Re: [ptxdist] gpsd library
@ 2013-09-13 10:39 ` Jürgen Beisert
From: Jürgen Beisert @ 2013-09-13 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist, thomas.walter

Hi,

On Friday 13 September 2013 11:29:12 Thomas Walter wrote:
> ich habe eine Frage
> [...]
> welche gps Library soll ich einsetzen?

This is an international mailing list. Use English please.

Regards,
Juergen

--
Pengutronix e.K.                              | Juergen Beisert             |
Linux Solutions for Science and Industry      | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |

* Re: [ptxdist] gpsd library
@ 2013-09-13 10:46 ` Alexander Dahl
From: Alexander Dahl @ 2013-09-13 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hei Thomas,

Am 2013-09-13 11:29, schrieb Thomas Walter:
> ich habe eine Frage bzgl. GPSD bzw. libgps.a.

This mailing list is in english, if you don't mind, I answer like this.

> Unter Ubuntu setzte ich sowohl
> auf dem PC als auch auf einem non-ptxdist embedded System (ebenfalls Ubuntu)
> die neueste Version der gps Libraries ein (3.9-3).

I guess you mean the libraries included with gpsd from
http://www.catb.org/gpsd/? There's a gpsd package in ptxdist, but it
seems to be very old containing version 2.39.

> Tests mit der aktuellen
> arm libgpsd-dev 3.9 Version auf meinem Phytec AM335 Board (Toolchain
> 2001.11.1, BSP 12.1.1) zeigten,

Which toolchain are you actually using? Certainly not one from 12 years
ago?

> dass diese GPS Lib eine neuere libc
> voraussetzt als in der Toolchain und dem Target verfügbar.

Which libc is required? How did you prove this?

> Ich bin dann bei
> libgps-dev auf die Version 3.6-4 herunter gegangen und damit scheint es
> jetzt zu gehen. Das einzige was mir auffällt ist, das ich bei „speed“
> teilweise „NaN“ (Not a Number) bekomme, was ich mit derselben GPS Mouse
> unter den anderen Systemen (Linux PC und Linux embedded System) nicht
> bekomme. Die restlichen Werte sind OK.

Did you search in the changelogs if this is a bug which is fixed after
3.6?

Greets
Alex

--
»With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured,
irrevocably.« (Jean-Luc Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie)

* Re: [ptxdist] gpsd library
@ 2013-09-13 10:58   ` Thomas Walter
From: Thomas Walter @ 2013-09-13 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hello Alex,

I put some answers into your feedback.

Thomas

Am 2013-09-13 11:29, schrieb Thomas Walter:
> ich habe eine Frage bzgl. GPSD bzw. libgps.a.

This mailing list is in english, if you don't mind, I answer like this.
[TWalt] Fine with me ... sorry, missed it ... just posted the same in english ...

> Unter Ubuntu setzte ich sowohl
> auf dem PC als auch auf einem non-ptxdist embedded System (ebenfalls
> Ubuntu) die neueste Version der gps Libraries ein (3.9-3).

I guess you mean the libraries included with gpsd from http://www.catb.org/gpsd/? There's a gpsd package in ptxdist, but it seems to be very old containing version 2.39.
[TWalt] Yes, that’s I already use on other systems (PC and embedded). I found the old lib also right now in the package, but it is really very old!

> Tests mit der aktuellen
> arm libgpsd-dev 3.9 Version auf meinem Phytec AM335 Board (Toolchain
> 2001.11.1, BSP 12.1.1) zeigten,

Which toolchain are you actually using? Certainly not one from 12 years ago?
[TWalt] Typo ;-) ... "2011"

> dass diese GPS Lib eine neuere libc
> voraussetzt als in der Toolchain und dem Target verfügbar.

Which libc is required? How did you prove this?
[TWalt] The library is loaded and could not find the required .so file "xx_15". The one on the target is "xx_14".

> Ich bin dann bei
> libgps-dev auf die Version 3.6-4 herunter gegangen und damit scheint
> es jetzt zu gehen. Das einzige was mir auffällt ist, das ich bei
> „speed“ teilweise „NaN“ (Not a Number) bekomme, was ich mit derselben
> GPS Mouse unter den anderen Systemen (Linux PC und Linux embedded
> System) nicht bekomme. Die restlichen Werte sind OK.

Did you search in the changelogs if this is a bug which is fixed after 3.6?
[TWalt] No, not yet, but thanks for the hint!

Greets
Alex

--
»With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.« (Jean-Luc Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie)

@ 2013-09-13 11:27     ` Alexander Dahl
From: Alexander Dahl @ 2013-09-13 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hei Thomas,

please quote correctly. You're using Microsoft Outlook 14.0, maybe
http://learn.to/quote helps you (don't mind the "usenet" in the header,
it applies for mailing lists as well).

I don't want to be rude, but people are around here using text based
mailers. If you can not or do not want to setup your mailer like this,
prepend your text like everybody does in business environment. That's
ugly but still easier to read than searching who wrote what in a badly
quoted mail. ;-)

Am 2013-09-13 12:58, schrieb Thomas Walter:
> [TWalt] Yes, that’s I already use on other systems (PC and embedded).
> I found the old lib also right now in the package, but it is really
> very old!

Maybe you want to update the ptxdist package. ;-)

>> Which toolchain are you actually using? Certainly not one from 12 years ago?
> [TWalt] Typo ;-) ... "2011"

Consider OSELAS Toolchain 2012.12.1 which comes with glibc 2.0.16.

>> Which libc is required? How did you prove this?
> [TWalt] The library is loaded and could not find the required .so file
> "xx_15". The one on the target is "xx_14".

OSELAS Toolchain 2011.11.3 comes with glibc 2.14.1. I'm not sure whether
there's a binary archive of the new toolchain, but building it by
yourself is rather easy, so you should give it a try.

Greets
Alex

--

@ 2013-09-13 12:32       ` Thomas Walter
From: Thomas Walter @ 2013-09-13 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hello Alex,

Thanks! I will give it a try to build toolchain 2012.12.1 ... just downloaded and started the build process for my target platform ... takes a while. Will come back on it if it works using the latest gps library.

Thomas

@ 2013-09-16  8:39     ` Uwe Kleine-König
       [not found]       ` <001501ceb37a$ced0b750$6c7225f0$@csc-online.eu>
From: Uwe Kleine-König @ 2013-09-16  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist, thomas.walter

Hello Thomas,

[fixed the quoting up]

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 12:58:46PM +0200, Thomas Walter wrote:
> > Am 2013-09-13 11:29, schrieb Thomas Walter:
> > > Unter Ubuntu setzte ich sowohl
> > > auf dem PC als auch auf einem non-ptxdist embedded System (ebenfalls
> > > Ubuntu) die neueste Version der gps Libraries ein (3.9-3).
> >
> > > dass diese GPS Lib eine neuere libc
> > > voraussetzt als in der Toolchain und dem Target verfügbar.
> >
> > Which libc is required? How did you prove this?
> The library is loaded and could not find the required .so file
> "xx_15". The one on the target is "xx_14".
What is xx here? Can you include the full error message? For a
completely self-compiled environment such a mismatch is surprising.

Best regards
Uwe

* Re: [ptxdist] gpsd library
       [not found]           ` <002c01ceb45a$b9ed0e20$2dc72a60$@csc-online.eu>
@ 2013-09-18 15:14             ` Uwe Kleine-König
From: Uwe Kleine-König @ 2013-09-18 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Walter; +Cc: ptxdist

Hello Thomas,

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 12:34:58PM +0200, Thomas Walter wrote:
> What I did is the following:
>
> I cross-compiled the gpsd3.9 version using the Toolchain 2011.11.1, because
> this is the one which comes with my PhyCORE-AM335. Phytec does not yet use
> Toolchain 2012.12.1.
>
> The build uses the make-successor scons and not the usual way via
huh, "make-successor". There are definitly enough people in the open
source world that think that scons is worse than make, so I doubt they
will take over.

> ./configure and make. I am not the expert in creating python scripts and
> just started with ptxdist ... However, after some treatment of the gpds
> cross-compile scons configuration files I got a compiled gpsd binary and
> libgsps of version 3.9, which runs with my target and the Toolchain
> 2011.11.1. I did not build gpsmon, because ncurses is not part of the
> toolchain (couldn't find header files). Furthermore I disabled Bluetooth due
That should be possible to add when enabling ncurses in your ptxconfig.
Don't know about bluetooth.

> the same issue.
>
> I added a "file" packages to ptxdist in order to get them installed (simply
> copied) to /usr. I just flashed the generated image and it works. This
> concept works so far for me ... but I think it would be better to compile
> the gps library during the "go"-process. But as  I said I am not the python
> expert and ... in addition still on a Linux learning curve by jumping
> directly into an embedded use of it.
Definitly. Maybe someone can point another scons package that is good
enough to copy the ptxdist rules from?

Best regards
Uwe