* [ptxdist] Feature Request: Option to install man pages
@ 2015-03-04 10:45 Carsten Schlote
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Carsten Schlote @ 2015-03-04 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi,

right now I found a problem, when I try to encourage people to use
ptxdist for private or commercial projects - the lack of man pages.

I know, it is intentional to save precious memory on embedded devices
with usually small flash devices storing the firmware. 'Small' ment
something in the few MB range running compressed MTD filesystems.

The ability to create small rootfs images was basically my primary
reason to use ptxdist many years ago, when I had just 32 MB of flash for
all and everything.

However the smart phone boom of the last few years dramatically changed
the definition of 'small' - the smallest flash devices for our embedded
HW starts now around 2-4 *Giga*bytes.  And as smallest does NOT mean
cheapest, the standard flash device at work - right now - is 4 GB eMMC,
which will probably increase the usual 2^n steps the next months/years.

And with this change the following question is now poping up over and
over again: Why using a crippeled rootfs without man pages just to save
some few MB out of several 1000s?

So I would like to propose to add some global switch to the ptxdist
configuration, which optionally allows users to install docs. Docs
usually mean man pages, but options for info or similar would be fine,
too. And of course a set of macros for the targetinstall stage, which
conditionally picks up man pages at the usual places, when enabled.

This optional feature (even if it is used just for the primary
development and fieldtest stage) would be extremely helpful. Esp. for
those not knowing all unix commands by heart, or with fresh stuff like
systemd, which provides all documentation in form of >200 man pages.
Right now people need to use a secondary virtual machine or a webbrowser
to read man pages online, which is a bit ridiculous.

So I would like to add such feature to Ptxdist and volunteer to add
appropriate macros to the existing packages. At least as long as there
is some positive feedback for this idea at all.

Your opinions?

Carsten