* [ptxdist] nsupdate
@ 2015-01-27 15:14 Thomas Walter
From: Thomas Walter @ 2015-01-27 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi!

I am currently working on a kind of dyndns approach and plan to use nsupdate
to make the ddns aware of the new IP. However, it seems that nsupdate is
missing in ptxdist. Is this the case or do I miss something in the
configuration to enable it?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answer.

Regards,

Tom

* Re: [ptxdist] nsupdate
@ 2015-01-28  7:36 ` Bruno Thomsen
From: Bruno Thomsen @ 2015-01-28  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist; +Cc: thomas.walter

Hi Tom,

> I am currently working on a kind of dyndns approach and plan to use nsupdate to make the ddns aware of the new IP. However, it seems that nsupdate is missing in ptxdist. Is this the case or do I miss something in the configuration to enable it?

Yes, there are currently no rule to install nsupdate that is part of Bind.
I also needs to update DNS records automatically and was planning to create a rule that compile and install DNS client tools from Bind 9.

/Bruno

* Re: [ptxdist] nsupdate
@ 2015-01-28 14:41   ` Thomas Walter
From: Thomas Walter @ 2015-01-28 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi Bruno,

Thanks for the info, so I did not oversee something ... good.
I looked briefly into the DNSUtils and it seems that there are a lot of
dependencies in regard to required libraries, etc.
Would be great if you could share some of your findings and progress on
that. For now I probably use the dnsutils on the DNS server and trigger
updates otherwise from my device instead of invoking an nsupdate directly.

Thx a lot in advance,
Tom

@ 2015-01-28 19:11 ` Uwe Kleine-König
From: Uwe Kleine-König @ 2015-01-28 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist, thomas.walter

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 04:14:09PM +0100, Thomas Walter wrote:
> I am currently working on a kind of dyndns approach and plan to use nsupdate
> to make the ddns aware of the new IP. However, it seems that nsupdate is
> missing in ptxdist. Is this the case or do I miss something in the
> configuration to enable it?
Probably it's easier to use https to get the update done. Some time ago
I implemented a Perl-CGI that takes parameters via GET and does the
matching nsupdate for that.

If you're interested: The scripts lives at

	https://cgi.kleine-koenig.org/cgi-bin/nsupdate

call it like:

	https://cgi.kleine-koenig.org/cgi-bin/nsupdate?hostname=tralala.yourdomain&ip4=1.2.3.4&ip6=::1&key=42

(but don't do it with valid data because the GET string ends in the
server log). The script is available at

	https://cgi.kleine-koenig.org/cgi-bin/catnsupdate

Best regards
Uwe

* Re: [ptxdist] nsupdate
@ 2015-01-29  6:24   ` Thomas Walter
From: Thomas Walter @ 2015-01-29  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Good Morning!

Thanks, Uwe, for the Info! It sounds feasible and interesting do it this
way.
I will definitely look into this how it can make things easier.

Regards,
Tom