From: Bruno Thomsen <bth@kamstrup.dk>
To: "ptxdist@pengutronix.de" <ptxdist@pengutronix.de>
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] [RFC] u-boot-tools: emmc support in fw_printenv/fw_setenv
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 09:02:22 +0000	[thread overview]

-----Original Message-----
From: ptxdist-bounces@pengutronix.de [mailto:ptxdist-bounces@pengutronix.de] On Behalf Of Michael Olbrich
Sent: 8. august 2014 12:18
To: ptxdist@pengutronix.de

> On Tue, Aug 05, 2014 at 02:29:12PM +0200, Markus Niebel wrote:
> > Hello Bruno,
> >
> > Am 04.08.2014 10:29, wrote Bruno Thomsen:
> > > Provide read/write access to U-Boot environment stored in eMMC flash from Linux.
> > >
> > > Access to U-Boot environment can be very useful; dual kernel/rootfs images, production default values, change kernel bootargs, etc.
> > >
> > > Tested with U-Boot 2009.08 and 2013.04 on TQMa28.
> > >

> > Wouldn't it be better to rework the support for u-boot tools in
> > general? (I know, this will be tricky, since U-Boot environment tools
> > compilation is really an adventure). Also I think, we should use the same version of U-Boot tools as we use for the U-Boot itself.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> I think it's a good idea.

Yes, use the same U-Boot package for both bootloader and tools.

Then we have the block device (emmc, etc.) vs. mtd[1] (NAND, NOR) support issue.
As I see there are the following solutions:
1) Select fw_printenv/fw_setenv storage support based on define in board configuration, ex. CONFIG_ENV_IS_IN_MMC in mx28evk.
2) fw_printenv/fw_setenv support both storage technologies:
  a) Add storage type parameter to /etc/fw_env.config
  b) Autodetect storage type with strcmp() based on device name

[1] MTD: Memory Technology Device, http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/faq/general.html

Venlig hilsen / Best regards

Kamstrup A/S <http://www.kamstrup.dk>
Bruno Thomsen