From: Ian Abbott <abbotti@mev.co.uk>
To: ptxdist@pengutronix.de, "Henzer, Kevin" <KevinHenzer@eaton.com>
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] Loss of speedup for subsequent different -but still similar- images build
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 11:23:29 +0100	[thread overview]

On 23/09/2021 14:02, Henzer, Kevin wrote:
> Hello !
>
> Thanks for adding me to the mailing list, and thank for this nice tool that PTXdist is !
>
> I'm new to PTXdist, and I have inherited a build setup that creates two different but quite similar system images, following two different global configurations (config_1 and config_2).
> One is the rescue update image of the system, the other the full-featured image. It is using a script to build them both in a row.
>
> Before a recent update, calling the build process successively on those two configurations gave a big speed-up for the second build. The system was reusing most of the packages.
>
> ./ptxdist go --ptxconfig=configs/config_1 --platformconfig=configs/platformconfig 	# takes time only the first time, else quite fast
> ./ptxdist images --ptxconfig=configs/ config_1  --platformconfig=configs/platformconfig  # quite fast
>
> ./ptxdist go --ptxconfig=configs/config_2 --platformconfig=configs/platformconfig 	# quite fast
> ./ptxdist images --ptxconfig=configs/ config_2  --platformconfig=configs/platformconfig  # quite fast
>

> But after updating PTXdist to newer version (now using PTXdist version 2021.03.0), and updating the config files, it seems something has changed, and the outcome is different.
>
> ./ptxdist go --ptxconfig=configs/config_1 --platformconfig=configs/platformconfig 	# takes time at each build
> ./ptxdist images --ptxconfig=configs/ config_1  --platformconfig=configs/platformconfig  # quite fast
>
> ./ptxdist go --ptxconfig=configs/config_2 --platformconfig=configs/platformconfig 	# takes time at each build, seems the system is rebuilding everything

This is not an answer to the problem of possibly unnecessary rebuilding,
but you can reduce the build time considerably using the -j option to
build packages in parallel.  (It has an optional parameter to set the
number of jobs to run in parallel, but the default is based on the
number of available CPUs.)  That option is best combined with the -q
(--quiet) option to make the build messages on the terminal less
confusing, otherwise the parallel build messages on the terminal would
be a chaotic mess.

--
-=( Ian Abbott <abbotti@mev.co.uk> || MEV Ltd. is a company  )=-
-=( registered in England & Wales.  Regd. number: 02862268.  )=-