From: Alexander Dahl <post@lespocky.de>
Subject: [ptxdist] console_name for systemd based systems
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 11:09:55 +0200	[thread overview]

Hei hei,

moving along with systemd integration I came across an issue where I'm
not sure how to integrate this nicely into ptxdist. Let me explain how
this works for busysbox init at the moment:

There's PTXCONF_CONSOLE_NAME in platformconfig. For our project it has
the value /dev/ttyS0 because the target has no graphics system but just
a serial console. For busybox this is put to /etc/inittab around line 41
of rules/initmethod-bbinit.make:

 40     @$(call install_replace, initmethod-bbinit, /etc/inittab, \
 41         @CONSOLE@, $(PTXCONF_CONSOLE_NAME))

The resulting line in /etc/inittab:

 console::respawn:/sbin/getty -L 115200 /dev/ttyS0 vt100

Now systemd has no inittab anymore. There are two services for getty:

 # ls /lib/systemd/system/*tty*
 /lib/systemd/system/getty@.service
 /lib/systemd/system/serial-getty@.service

The first one is used for /dev/tty*, the second for /dev/ttyS* or any
other serial console (/dev/ttyUSB0 would be possible as well). These are
activated by setting a symlink at the appropriate place, a quick 'n
dirty solution ignoring PTXCONF_CONSOLE_NAME looks like this:

 255     # FIXME there's $(PTXCONF_CONSOLE_NAME) in platformconfig.
Would be
 256     #       nice to get this by some magic
 257     @$(call install_link, myrootfs, \
 258         /lib/systemd/system/serial-getty@.service, \
 259
/etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/serial-getty@ttyS0.service)

For integrating this into ptxdist, especially in
rules/initmethod-systemd.*, there would be some magic needed guessing
which service to pick based on which device is configured in
PTXCONF_CONSOLE_NAME. Any ideas on this?

Greets
Alex

--
»With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured,
irrevocably.« (Jean-Luc Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie)