* [ptxdist] Device management
@ 2018-07-24 13:46 Jakov Simunic
From: Jakov Simunic @ 2018-07-24 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

  1.  Are there any plans to bring in eudev?
  2.  Is systemd really a good option for embedded systems?
  3.  Is mdev a worthy replacement for udev?
  4.  If I have config_devtmpfs and config_devtmpfs_mount options enabled do I even need udev/mdev/eudev?

--
Lijep pozdrav / Best regards
Jakov Šimunić

* Re: [ptxdist] Device management
@ 2018-07-24 14:06 ` Alexander Dahl
From: Alexander Dahl @ 2018-07-24 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hei hei,

Am Dienstag, 24. Juli 2018, 13:46:47 CEST schrieb Jakov Simunic:
>   2.  Is systemd really a good option for embedded systems?

You don't need to use it. We still use busybox-init with plain old init
scripts and monit for monitoring.

>   4.  If I have config_devtmpfs and config_devtmpfs_mount options enabled do
> I even need udev/mdev/eudev?

Depends? On an arm target with a recent kernel and device tree we use devtmpfs
with CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y and CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT=y and that's sufficient to
find all hardware. However we are not using USB or any other plug'n'play
hardware. So on that target no udev, no systemd. But that's more for historic
reasons, it is just no one took the effort to switch to systemd.

Greets
Alex