To: ptxdist@pengutronix.de
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] year 2038 Toolchain
Date: Fri, 24 May 2024 11:04:24 +0200	[thread overview]

On 5/24/24 10:41, Ian Abbott wrote:

>> If I figure it out I'll let you guys know (so it can be added to the
>> official Toolchain)
>
> Rememember to define _FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 too if it is not already
> defined. _TIME_BITS=64 is ineffective when _FILE_OFFSET_BITS=32 for
> Glibc policy reasons.

I tried some things to convince the Toolchain project (latest gcc13
release) to use those two defines, but without much luck. Sometimes
parts complained that there were duplicate declarations of (time)
functions, with some other tries it actually complained the the
_FILE_OFFSET_BITS was missing for some part, that I really don't
understand because I added them always in pairs.

So I believe it is just a bit too early for 100% year 2038 compliance at
the moment. Especially when it comes to C++/libstd++ there is also not
much info online.

But the C part seems to work with the support ptxdist offers, and C++
has always been some unwanted stepchild, especially now Rust is going to
safe the world :-)

- Erwin