* [ptxdist] regression linking against libcgi after fixing patches in a53b663
@ 2012-10-24  9:05 Alexander Dahl
From: Alexander Dahl @ 2012-10-24  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hei hei,

in commit a53b663 a typo in Makefile of LibCGI was fixed, actually in
the patches fixing various things in LibCGI. This sets the soname of the
library to libcgi.so.0 in the options passed to the linker. However this
libcgi.so.0 is never installed but libcgi.so instead. This does work at
build time when compiling and linking against libcgi but at runtime this
fails because libcgi.so is installed in both install and targetinstall
stage but there's no libcgi.so.0 present on the target.

I'm not familiar with autotools to fix this myself. Expected behaviour
would be some libcgi.so.x.y.z is installed and libcgi.so.x and libcgi.so
are symlinks of which only libcgi.so.x is installed to the target. If I
rename libcgi.so on my target to libcgi.so.0.0.0 and create a symlink
libcgi.so.0 my cgis work again.

by the way: the author of the libcgi library moved the code from
sourceforge to github [1] and kindly responses to mails, bug reports und
pull requests. I'll ask him how he plans to proceed with this long dead
project and I'll share the result here. He already integrated the
changes and fixes of the patches ptxdist carries in the master branch (I
integrated those in one single commit in my personal fork and made a
pull request in the expectation nobody would care, so sorry if you're
not getting your credits.) I'll come up with some other patches fixing
some things in the lib. I would share these with ptxdist as well and
hope we could work toward some bugfix release 1.x of the lib integrating
all the current changes to get rid of the patches. What's your opinion
about this?

Greets
Alex

[1] https://github.com/rafaelsteil/libcgi

--
»With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured,
irrevocably.« (Jean-Luc Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie)