* [ptxdist] Building manually fails with unknown libraries
@ 2016-05-20 10:28 Christoph Rüdiger
From: Christoph Rüdiger @ 2016-05-20 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi folks,

I am trying to build my project manually in the ptxdist environment to
start playing around with some diagnostics tools.

First of all, the project compiles and links properly when building with
ptxdist compile <target>.

However, when I enter ptxdist bash and execute the make command from the
logfile, including all the explicit environment variables, the linker
fails to find libraries. strace shows, that it is only looking in the
toolchain's sysroot, but not in the explicitly given sysroot-target (via
SYSROOT env variable).

So my question is: how do I execute the single build steps (namely
prepare and compile) manually in the ptxdist bash?

Regards
Christoph

--
rüdiger.engineering
Christoph Rüdiger

phone: +49 201 458 478 58
PGP key: 0xE513B105

* Re: [ptxdist] Building manually fails with unknown libraries
@ 2016-05-20 11:50 ` Juergen Borleis
From: Juergen Borleis @ 2016-05-20 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist; +Cc: Christoph Rüdiger

Hi Christoph,

On Friday 20 May 2016 12:28:46 Christoph Rüdiger wrote:
> I am trying to build my project manually in the ptxdist environment to
> start playing around with some diagnostics tools.
>
> First of all, the project compiles and links properly when building with
> ptxdist compile <target>.
>
> However, when I enter ptxdist bash and execute the make command from the
> logfile, including all the explicit environment variables, the linker
> fails to find libraries. strace shows, that it is only looking in the
> toolchain's sysroot, but not in the explicitly given sysroot-target (via
> SYSROOT env variable).

Does it start the linker from the wrapper directory (e.g.
<platform>/sysroot-host/lib/wrapper/) or from the OSELAS.Toolchain directory
directly?

Regards,
Juergen

--
Pengutronix e.K.                              | Juergen Borleis             |
Industrial Linux Solutions                    | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |

* Re: [ptxdist] Building manually fails with unknown libraries
@ 2016-05-20 13:44   ` Christoph Rüdiger
From: Christoph Rüdiger @ 2016-05-20 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi Juergen,

Am 20.05.16 um 13:50 schrieb Juergen Borleis:
> Hi Christoph,
>
> On Friday 20 May 2016 12:28:46 Christoph Rüdiger wrote:
>> I am trying to build my project manually in the ptxdist environment to
>> start playing around with some diagnostics tools.
>>
>> First of all, the project compiles and links properly when building with
>> ptxdist compile <target>.
>>
>> However, when I enter ptxdist bash and execute the make command from the
>> logfile, including all the explicit environment variables, the linker
>> fails to find libraries. strace shows, that it is only looking in the
>> toolchain's sysroot, but not in the explicitly given sysroot-target (via
>> SYSROOT env variable).
>
> Does it start the linker from the wrapper directory (e.g.
> <platform>/sysroot-host/lib/wrapper/) or from the OSELAS.Toolchain directory
> directly?

How can I check this? The logfile does not show any cd, pushd, or
similar commands. Ptxdist just starts make and sets the working dir with
make's -C command line argument.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but the application is configured
in the rule file as a cmake project without any further settings.

Regards
Christoph

--

@ 2016-05-20 19:27     ` Christoph Rüdiger
From: Christoph Rüdiger @ 2016-05-20 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Am 20.05.16 um 15:44 schrieb Christoph Rüdiger:
> Hi Juergen,
>
> Am 20.05.16 um 13:50 schrieb Juergen Borleis:
>> Hi Christoph,
>>
>> On Friday 20 May 2016 12:28:46 Christoph Rüdiger wrote:
>>> I am trying to build my project manually in the ptxdist environment to
>>> start playing around with some diagnostics tools.
>>>
>>> First of all, the project compiles and links properly when building with
>>> ptxdist compile <target>.
>>>
>>> However, when I enter ptxdist bash and execute the make command from the
>>> logfile, including all the explicit environment variables, the linker
>>> fails to find libraries. strace shows, that it is only looking in the
>>> toolchain's sysroot, but not in the explicitly given sysroot-target (via
>>> SYSROOT env variable).
>>
>> Does it start the linker from the wrapper directory (e.g.
>> <platform>/sysroot-host/lib/wrapper/) or from the OSELAS.Toolchain directory
>> directly?
>
> How can I check this? The logfile does not show any cd, pushd, or
> similar commands. Ptxdist just starts make and sets the working dir with
> make's -C command line argument.

Too quick between two meetings. Forget about it. At the end of the
chain, make and cmake are calling the wrapper, as they are supposed to do.

After putting my headphones on and investigating a bit more, I found out
by accident, that you can just call the build command from the logfile's
compile stage in an arbitrary shell, except for the ptxdist bash itself.

That was something I never expected, so I wasted some hours with
thinking too complicated :-(

However, I don't know why it is not working when calling from the
ptxdist bash. Maybe someone here can explain that.

Hopefully, this post helps someone in the future.

Enjoy your weekend,
Christoph

--

@ 2016-05-26 10:02       ` Michael Olbrich
From: Michael Olbrich @ 2016-05-26 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 09:27:12PM +0200, Christoph Rüdiger wrote:

> Am 20.05.16 um 15:44 schrieb Christoph Rüdiger:
> > Hi Juergen,
> >
> > Am 20.05.16 um 13:50 schrieb Juergen Borleis:
> >> Hi Christoph,

> >> Does it start the linker from the wrapper directory (e.g.
> >> <platform>/sysroot-host/lib/wrapper/) or from the OSELAS.Toolchain directory
> >> directly?
> >
> > How can I check this? The logfile does not show any cd, pushd, or
> > similar commands. Ptxdist just starts make and sets the working dir with
> > make's -C command line argument.
>
> Too quick between two meetings. Forget about it. At the end of the
> chain, make and cmake are calling the wrapper, as they are supposed to do.
>
> After putting my headphones on and investigating a bit more, I found out
> by accident, that you can just call the build command from the logfile's
> compile stage in an arbitrary shell, except for the ptxdist bash itself.
>
> That was something I never expected, so I wasted some hours with
> thinking too complicated :-(
>
> However, I don't know why it is not working when calling from the
> ptxdist bash. Maybe someone here can explain that.

This is strange. I think this should work. What does $PATH look like when
it fails?

Michael