From: Markus Niebel <list-09_ptxdist@tqsc.de>
To: dennis.z.miller@outlook.com, ptxdist@pengutronix.de
Cc: TQ-Support <Support@tq-group.com>
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] Sysroots and pkg-config (Qt 5.4.2)
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 08:33:33 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

Am 11.06.2015 um 12:18 schrieb Dennis Miller:
> Hi,
>
> I am using PTXdist 2014.11.0 and a BSP provided by TQ for a Freescale i.MX6q
> CPU.
> This CPU has binary-only drivers for Open-GL/ES.
>
> I downloaded just the new qt5.in/.make as well as all patches and custom
> qmake-spec
> for Qt 5.4.2 and I am trying to get it to compile using the Freescale
> (VIVANTE) egl
> drivers.
>
> The drivers install some samples to /opt as well as libs to /usr/lib and
> matching
> headers to /usr/include.
> The default rule file was to just package everything together and install it
> on the
> target. This was enough to verify that the GPU is working.

OK

> Which sysroot is the right one? sysroot-host seems like the right choice. I can
> add pkgconfig files to sysroot-host/lib/pkgconfig (e.g. egl.pc) and these
> seem to
> work as expected.
>
> Building Qt is a totally different beast ...
> I had to add a patch to the configure script to disable the gold linker
> "CFG_USE_GOLD_LINKER=no". Turns out configure is using sysroot-cross ...
> sysroot-cross has a wierd pkg-config (arm-v7a-linux-gnueabihf-pkg-config in my
> case) which does not seem to work:

Qt 5.3 is in our BSP which is implemented different than the current mainline Qt 5.4.
Mixing things is not expected to work.

>       $> ./p bash
>       [ptx] $> which pkg-config
>       ..../platform-dzm/sysroot-host/bin/pkg-config
>       [ptx] $> ./platform-dzm/sysroot-cross/bin/pkg-config --debug --list-all
>
> Now I get a list of all packages from my Ubuntu 14.04 ...
> (and maybe some embedded ones as well). So I tried "fixing" this setup by
> calling
> the right pkg-config by updating the first few line like:
>
>        #PKG_CONFIG="${PKG_CONFIG_ARRAY[1]}"
>        PKG_CONFIG="../../sysroot-host/bin/pkg-config"
>
> But lets keep moving here - pkg-config rules for egl are in place (I took them
> from Yocto's meta-fsl-arm layer) and configure continues past the EGL checks.
> However now I'm stuck with an error about d-bus.
> dbus-1.8.8 is compiled and installed using the default rules. But the pkg-config
> rule file is not installed (again: which sysroot?) - why?
>
> The next obvious question would be: what else is "missing"? and why?
> Or were there some bugfixes between PTXdist 2014.11.0 and the latest that affect
> pkg-config or any library install?
>
> A lot of the things I did *feel* wrong. I would assume that PTXdist should
> do these
> for me - e.g. make sure pkg-config is updated with every library.
> Also, sysroot-target seems like the most obvious "sysroot" choice since the
> documentation
> for PTXdist specifically mentions  "sysroot-target : Contains everything
> target architecture
> dependend (libraries, header files and so on)." but this one is not used at all.
>
> One last thing: Is the gold linker used in newer versions of PTXdist?
>
> How do I continue building the latest Qt library?

You can do

- ptxdist migrate to bring the BSP to the current PTXdist version
- the you can remove the qt5 related rules from BSP
- reconfigure to build with Qt 5.4 from mainline PTXdist
- adopt Qt 5.4 mkspecs to find the correct EGL stuff
- Feel free to contact TQ systems support

Note: when migrating to a new ptxdist version, you need to build from scratch.

Markus