* [ptxdist] license info
@ 2015-02-11 15:52 Erwin Rol
From: Erwin Rol @ 2015-02-11 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hey all,

I see Michael is busy adding license info, which is a good thing. But
AFAIK (but IANAL) the license info should also be available on the
target. Does the new ptxdist also install the license files onto the
target (root)fs ?

- Erwin

* Re: [ptxdist] license info
@ 2015-02-11 16:11 ` Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
From: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia @ 2015-02-11 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

In many cases the actual requirement is that the licensing information
is shown in the software itself (e.g. if it has a GUI) or in the
accompanying documentation (e.g. user manuals and such). None of this
would happen automatically if the licenses are just copied to the
target rootfs, so I guess that this would not be very useful in
itself.

Guillermo

> Hey all,
>
> I see Michael is busy adding license info, which is a good thing. But
> AFAIK (but IANAL) the license info should also be available on the
> target. Does the new ptxdist also install the license files onto the
> target (root)fs ?
>
> - Erwin
>
> --

Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
guille.rodriguez@gmail.com

* Re: [ptxdist] license info
@ 2015-02-11 16:28   ` Erwin Rol
From: Erwin Rol @ 2015-02-11 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

The target is the "software", by having the license files on the target
the "software" can reproduce the license files when asked (telnet/ssh +
cat license.txt)

- Erwin

On 11-2-2015 17:11, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
> In many cases the actual requirement is that the licensing information
> is shown in the software itself (e.g. if it has a GUI) or in the
> accompanying documentation (e.g. user manuals and such). None of this
> would happen automatically if the licenses are just copied to the
> target rootfs, so I guess that this would not be very useful in
> itself.
>
> Guillermo

>> Hey all,
>>
>> I see Michael is busy adding license info, which is a good thing. But
>> AFAIK (but IANAL) the license info should also be available on the
>> target. Does the new ptxdist also install the license files onto the
>> target (root)fs ?
>>
>> - Erwin
>>
>> --

* Re: [ptxdist] license info
@ 2015-02-11 16:41 ` Uwe Kleine-König
From: Uwe Kleine-König @ 2015-02-11 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hello Erwin,

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 04:52:52PM +0100, Erwin Rol wrote:
> I see Michael is busy adding license info, which is a good thing. But
> AFAIK (but IANAL) the license info should also be available on the
> target. Does the new ptxdist also install the license files onto the
> target (root)fs ?
I'd say it depends on the license if this is necessary. Moreover I
doubt that just putting the license info into a file on the rootfs is
enough to fulfill the license requirements.

Moreover for the common licenses that come to my mind (GPL, BSD, MIT,
LGPL) this is not necessary. (But IANAL, too.)

Best regards
Uwe

* Re: [ptxdist] license info
@ 2015-02-11 16:49     ` Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
From: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia @ 2015-02-11 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

That would be a pretty amusing way to show a license.

Guillermo

@ 2015-02-11 17:03       ` Erwin Rol
From: Erwin Rol @ 2015-02-11 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

The Yocto project seems store all license info on the target filesystem.
With the large companies like Intel (with a large number of lawyers)
that are part of the Yocto project, I assume it is done to reduce the
risk of non-compliance. Even if might be over kill.

- Erwin

PS: IANAL, but some way stranger demands came from a lawyer from a big
German company (that just mentioned it would let go 9000 ppl.)

On 11-2-2015 17:49, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
> That would be a pretty amusing way to show a license.
>
> Guillermo

>> The target is the "software", by having the license files on the target
>> the "software" can reproduce the license files when asked (telnet/ssh +
>> cat license.txt)
>>
>> - Erwin
>>
>> On 11-2-2015 17:11, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
>>> In many cases the actual requirement is that the licensing information
>>> is shown in the software itself (e.g. if it has a GUI) or in the
>>> accompanying documentation (e.g. user manuals and such). None of this
>>> would happen automatically if the licenses are just copied to the
>>> target rootfs, so I guess that this would not be very useful in
>>> itself.
>>>
>>> Guillermo

>> --

* Re: [ptxdist] license info
@ 2015-02-11 17:11         ` Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
From: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia @ 2015-02-11 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

OK. My view is that this (storing the license text in the rootfs)
would be unnecessary for many licenses, while not completely
fulfilling requirements for others. But IANAL either and you may very
well be right :-)

Guillermo

@ 2015-02-12  8:48           ` Bruno Thomsen
From: Bruno Thomsen @ 2015-02-12  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Robert Schwebel @ 2015-02-12  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 08:48:38AM +0000, Bruno Thomsen wrote:
> > From: ptxdist-bounces@pengutronix.de
> > [mailto:ptxdist-bounces@pengutronix.de] On Behalf Of Guillermo
> > Rodriguez Garcia Sent: 11. februar 2015 18:12 To:
> > ptxdist@pengutronix.de Subject: Re: [ptxdist] license info
> >
> > OK. My view is that this (storing the license text in the rootfs)
> > would be unnecessary for many licenses, while not completely
> > fulfilling requirements for others. But IANAL either and you may
> > very well be right :-)
>

> We include all licenses with full text on rootfs using a custom Python
> script that generate a PHP page, so they can be shown by the embedded
> webserver.
>
> Header -> Pre -> Package -> Post -> Pre -> Package -> Post -> ..... ->
> Footer
>
> Package = name, version, license

Having something like that in ptxdist in a generic way would be great.
The current scripts already do some license collection, so I hope we can
improve that feature.

rsc

* Re: [ptxdist] license info
@ 2015-02-12  9:06               ` Bruno Thomsen
From: Bruno Thomsen @ 2015-02-12  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

> > We include all licenses with full text on rootfs using a custom Python
> > script that generate a PHP page, so they can be shown by the embedded
> > webserver.
> >
> > Header -> Pre -> Package -> Post -> Pre -> Package -> Post -> ..... ->
> > Footer
> >
> > Package = name, version, license
>
> Having something like that in ptxdist in a generic way would be great.
> The current scripts already do some license collection, so I hope we can improve that feature.

Yes, it would and it's great to see that an upstream solution is taking shape.

I just remembered we also include a link to the package website.

/Bruno

* Re: [ptxdist] license info
@ 2015-02-12  9:26               ` Tim Sander
From: Tim Sander @ 2015-02-12  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi
> Having something like that in ptxdist in a generic way would be great.
> The current scripts already do some license collection, so I hope we can
> improve that feature.
Do you have https://spdx.org/ on the radar?

Best regards
Tim

* Re: [ptxdist] license info
@ 2015-02-12  9:36                 ` Robert Schwebel
From: Robert Schwebel @ 2015-02-12  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 10:26:33AM +0100, Tim Sander wrote:
> > Having something like that in ptxdist in a generic way would be great.
> > The current scripts already do some license collection, so I hope we can
> > improve that feature.
>
> Do you have https://spdx.org/ on the radar?

Yes, but as of today, it more looks like an output format for the
license analysis tools than as something one can use to collect license
information.

In the end, PTXdist won't do the license analysis, that's still
something that needs to be done by the final user. All it can do is to
offer some tools to make life a bit easier.

rsc