* [ptxdist] Differences between kernel config in ptxdist directory and the real kernel source directory
@ 2014-06-13  9:11 Matthias Klein
From: Matthias Klein @ 2014-06-13  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hello,

our kernelconfig stays in the bsp directory at
configs/platform-xxx/kernelconfig-version.
We have an out of bsp git tree for the kernel sources which is linked to
local_src/kernel.xxx.

Under which conditions get the config file transferd from bsp dir to
kernel dir, and from kernel dir to bsp dir?

I had a big problem where I had in the bsp a 3.12.15 config with preempt
rt enabled, but an 3.12.19 config without preempt rt in
the kernel directory, and I don't understand how this can happen ...
(The kernel version is 3.12.19)

I was thinking that ptxdist copy the config, calls "make oldconfig", and
copy the result back into the bsp.

Does it makes a difference for the kernel config handling that is is an
git tree instead of xz archive in the bsp?

Thanks a lot for some tips!

Best regards,

Matthias

* Re: [ptxdist] Differences between kernel config in ptxdist directory and the real kernel source directory
@ 2014-06-13 14:13 ` Michael Olbrich
From: Michael Olbrich @ 2014-06-13 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 11:11:38AM +0200, Matthias Klein wrote:
> our kernelconfig stays in the bsp directory at
> configs/platform-xxx/kernelconfig-version.
> We have an out of bsp git tree for the kernel sources which is
> linked to local_src/kernel.xxx.
>
> Under which conditions get the config file transferd from bsp dir to
> kernel dir, and from kernel dir to bsp dir?
>
> I had a big problem where I had in the bsp a 3.12.15 config with
> preempt rt enabled, but an 3.12.19 config without preempt rt in
> the kernel directory, and I don't understand how this can happen ...
> (The kernel version is 3.12.19)
>
> I was thinking that ptxdist copy the config, calls "make oldconfig",
> and copy the result back into the bsp.
>

> Does it makes a difference for the kernel config handling that is is
> an git tree instead of xz archive in the bsp?

During kernel.prepare the config is copied from the BSP to the kernel
source tree.
At the end of 'ptxdist menuconfig kernel' or 'ptxdist oldconfig kernel' it
is copied back, so you need to explicitly do this after changing the
kernel code.

Regards
Michael

* Re: [ptxdist] Differences between kernel config in ptxdist directory and the real kernel source directory
@ 2014-06-13 14:38   ` Matthias Klein
From: Matthias Klein @ 2014-06-13 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptxdist

Am 13.06.2014 16:13, schrieb Michael Olbrich:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 11:11:38AM +0200, Matthias Klein wrote:
>> our kernelconfig stays in the bsp directory at
>> configs/platform-xxx/kernelconfig-version.
>> We have an out of bsp git tree for the kernel sources which is
>> linked to local_src/kernel.xxx.
>>
>> Under which conditions get the config file transferd from bsp dir to
>> kernel dir, and from kernel dir to bsp dir?
>>
>> I had a big problem where I had in the bsp a 3.12.15 config with
>> preempt rt enabled, but an 3.12.19 config without preempt rt in
>> the kernel directory, and I don't understand how this can happen ...
>> (The kernel version is 3.12.19)
>>
>> I was thinking that ptxdist copy the config, calls "make oldconfig",
>> and copy the result back into the bsp.
>>

>> Does it makes a difference for the kernel config handling that is is
>> an git tree instead of xz archive in the bsp?
> During kernel.prepare the config is copied from the BSP to the kernel
> source tree.
> At the end of 'ptxdist menuconfig kernel' or 'ptxdist oldconfig kernel' it
> is copied back, so you need to explicitly do this after changing the
> kernel code.
>
> Regards
> Michael

Thanks a lot for the information !