From: George McCollister <George.McCollister@novatechweb.com>
To: ptxdist@pengutronix.de
Subject: Re: [ptxdist] python: don't create '$(PTXCONF_SYSROOT_CROSS)/bin/python' link
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 16:44:09 -0600	[thread overview]

On 11/30/2012 04:11 PM, Michael Olbrich wrote:
> The problem is, that this link hides the system python
> ($PTXDIST_TOPDIR}/bin/python). So packages that need python for building
> sometimes get the wrong python (if python is built first).
> Also, I don't see why it should break you packages. There is still a python
> in PATH.
Breaks packages because talloc creates python bindings then tevent
checks for talloc python bindings before building its python bindings.
Seems like it would be a better idea to select HOST_PYTHON for packages
that require python to build. Then the same version would always be used.

Maybe I can find a clean way to force waf to use CROSS_PYTHON

Broken:

Excerpt from: talloc.prepare:
Checking for program
python
: /home/georgem/ptxdist.rebase.novatech-llc.com/bin/python
Checking for Python version >=
2.4.2                                                            : ok 2.7.3
Checking for library
python2.7
: not found
Checking for library
python2.7
: not found
Checking for library
python27
: not found
Checking for program
python2.7-config
: /usr/bin/python2.7-config
Checking for custom
code
: Could not find the python development headers
Disabling pytalloc-util as python devel libs not found
'configure' finished successfully (27.534s)
finished target talloc.prepare

Excerpt from tevent.prepare:
Checking for system talloc >=
2.0.7                                               : yes
Checking for system pytalloc-util >=
2.0.7                                        : not found
ERROR: System library pytalloc-util of version 2.0.7 not found, and
bundling disabled
make: ***
[/home/georgem/workspace_linux-3.2-upstream-rebase_armeb/platform-armeb-xscale/state/tevent.prepare]
Error 1

Working:

Excerpt from: talloc.prepare:
Checking for program
python
:
/home/georgem/workspace_linux-3.2-upstream-rebase_armeb/platform-armeb-xscale/sysroot-cross/bin/python

Checking for Python version >=
2.4.2                                                            : ok 2.6.6
Checking for library
python2.6
: yes
Checking for program
python2.6-config
:
/home/georgem/workspace_linux-3.2-upstream-rebase_armeb/platform-armeb-xscale/sysroot-cross/bin/python2.6-config

Checking for custom
code
: yes
'configure' finished successfully (27.606s)
finished target talloc.prepare

Excerpt from talloc.prepare:
Checking for system talloc >=
2.0.7                                               : yes
Checking for system pytalloc-util >=
2.0.7                                        : yes
Checking for program
xsltproc                                                     :
/usr/bin/xsltproc
Checking for stylesheet
http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/manpages/docbook.xsl
: ok
Checking for program
python
:
/home/georgem/workspace_linux-3.2-upstream-rebase_armeb/platform-armeb-xscale/sysroot-cross/bin/python

Checking for program
python
:
/home/georgem/workspace_linux-3.2-upstream-rebase_armeb/platform-armeb-xscale/sysroot-cross/bin/python

Checking for Python version >=
2.4.2                                                            : ok 2.6.6
Checking for library
python2.6
: yes
Checking for program
python2.6-config
:
/home/georgem/workspace_linux-3.2-upstream-rebase_armeb/platform-armeb-xscale/sysroot-cross/bin/python2.6-config

Checking for custom
code
: yes
Checking linker accepts
-Wl,-no-undefined
: yes
Checking linker accepts ['-undefined',
'dynamic_lookup']                                        : no
Checking for
epoll_create
: ok
Checking for program
python
:
/home/georgem/workspace_linux-3.2-upstream-rebase_armeb/platform-armeb-xscale/sysroot-cross/bin/python

Checking for Python version >=
2.4.2                                                            : ok 2.6.6
Checking for python
headers
: using cache
Checking linker accepts
-Wl,-no-undefined
: yes
Checking linker accepts ['-undefined',
'dynamic_lookup']                                        : no
'configure' finished successfully (29.256s)
finished target tevent.prepare

--
George McCollister
Software Architect